gm autos

Page 2 of 2
Alan wrote:

Hmm, I have the opposite problem... I'm a little shorter than you with a 32" inseam - not a really large guy, just a little on the tall side of normal. The problem that I tend to have with American cars is that either I have to cram my legs into the footwell, or the steering wheel is too far away. In all of my German cars I have not had this problem... I do like to follow the advice I read somewhere - I think it was from Vic Elford? Or maybe Bob Bondurant? In a normal driving position you should be able to both depress the clutch to the floor without pointing your toe, and also rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel without pulling your shoulder off the seat. This way you're using only your arms to steer and not any other part of your body. I still can't achieve that in most modern American cars (in older ones it seems to be quite easy; maybe they put the steering wheel closer back in the day when power steering was more commonly optional.)
I have fit myself into some quite small cars - never felt uncomfortable, although in extreme cases like a Miata or Porsche 914, there wasn't any room left over :)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You should have seen Hakeem Olajuwon when he bought his Porsche. He managed to get into and out of it, but apparently it was a real contortionist act ;>)
"Alan" <you're got to be joking> wrote in message

I had a '97 and traded it for the '01. Both are east to get in and out of and had good seating. The '97 had minimal problems and were covered under warranty. The '01 is a different story and has had many problems, small and large. I liked the car until it started to deteriorate and GM just thought I should buy a new one instead of solving problems.