GM HotButton Car won

Page 1 of 2
I won a car on the GM HotButton contest. I'd like to sell it rather than keep it (have 2003 auto already!). What do you think would be the best way? Was thinking of calling other dealerships to see if they
wanted to buy. Dealership that I won it at doesn't want to buy it because of the appearance to GM (will they get upset?). Anyhow, good position to be in...just fishing for some ideas. Thanks. Jim

So what did you win?
Suburban..nice one too!
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:30:41 -0700, "Paradox"

You can give it to me. :-D
--
2002 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 SLS Step-Side Extended Cab - 4.3L Vortec / 4L60E
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/sl4ck3r

Must be friggen nice to not need a new free 'burban!
Is she 4X4?

If you sell it to a dealership you will get lot less because they have to make money off of it You probably better off selling it in a news paper adds, flyers or eBay etc.

Most contest can change the prize in equivalent money value, ask about it.
Don't be surprised if you have to pay about $3000 in sales tax for your free car.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~276,925 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Isn't that a bunch of shit?
When I go to transfer a title on a car that cost nothing... they charge you tax on "fair market value".
I say take the computer out of it and tell them the thing is worth about $500..... 8^D
Damn... a NEW suburban... free! What the hell were you doing test driving one anyway? lol

The IRS and your state will want their cut, unless you live in a state w/o personal income tax. Have done 3 people this year who won cars and while they're still money far ahead keeping the vehicle, look for a bite outta yer wallet for taxes....
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
| Isn't that a bunch of shit? | | When I go to transfer a title on a car that cost nothing... they charge you | tax on "fair market value". | | I say take the computer out of it and tell them the thing is worth about | $500..... 8^D | | Damn... a NEW suburban... free! What the hell were you doing test driving | one anyway? lol |
Here in Maryland the taxes are based on the full MSRP (before rebates, deal down, etc.). Your 1st sentence is right on.
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:54:57 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

In NY they charge you sales tax based on what your final cost is, before the down payment. May be different for new vehicles.
Yeah, but if it doesn't run (because of a missing computer or something) then wouldn't fair market value be less?
Just being a smartass.
But aren't MSRP and fair market value separate?

JF wrote:

Congrats.
How does that contest work?
-marc
| JF wrote: | > | > I won a car on the GM HotButton contest. | | Congrats. | | How does that contest work? | | | -marc
Go to a GM dealer and press the OnStar button on the designated vehicle (or maybe it's any vehicle) in the showroom.
Damn, you don't even have to test drive it?
GM dealership here I come!
I can always sell it for a Chrysler. lol (be nice!)

| Damn, you don't even have to test drive it? | | GM dealership here I come! | | I can always sell it for a Chrysler. lol (be nice!) |
Nope...just sit in it. Although that's the problem with the program...it isn't selling nearly as many cars as GM had hoped...or so I've read. People come in, play the game and leave.
I haven't played, but I actually like your idea since I personally wouldn't keep many of today's GM's even if I won one, it would be a way to get some extra cash driving it directly to CarMax to unload it! (was that nice enough!) ;-) Heck I didn't even keep the one I did buy recently...took a $6K hit to get rid of it, but I can at least sleep at night now! Maybe I'll go by the Pontiac dealer and see if they have a nice new GTO...see how it compares to the great 1967 GTO I used to own 30+ years ago...that one would be worth garaging for an investment in 30-40 years.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:23:29 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

Hah, salesman asked my dad when he was done with his try at the hotbutton if he was interested in a vehicle, flat out said no, that he had one on order, of a different make. Guy asked what other vehicles he had, told him 'bout my mother's car and the guy's eyes lit, a 2000 Buick Regal with under 40,000 miles on it.
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:51:47 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

Local dealer has a specific vehicle out in the lot, just outside the showroom. My dad went, talked to a guy about the contest and he was taken to the vehicle. He was put in the vehicle, the window rolled down and the salesman right outside with a pen and paper. Press the button, you get connected to Onstar, they ask you some questions including zip code and another that he told me and I don't remember what it was. Then they connect you to an automated system and it tells you if you won. Salesman was taking ALL the info as he went from what I understand.