Is quality control still bad at GM?

Page 2 of 2
James, in contrast to you, a self-professed challenging customer, I prefer to be a satisfied customer. In contrast to you, I was able to study the lighting
control system in my new GM car until I understood it. Then I kept my damned hands off of it since it works right. However, if you prefer to rant to the top at GM, then that is fine. If I were at the top of GM, I would certainly ignore your attitude also.
In the past, when I had some difficult support problem with some auto, I started with the dealer, then moved up to the zone manager, each time with a polite and well-documented letter. But I got results.
I'll let you get back to your rant now.
---Bob Gross---
| James, in contrast to you, a self-professed challenging | customer, I prefer to be a satisfied customer.
Don't we all.... A noble goal. :-)
| In contrast to you, I was able to study the lighting | control system in my new GM car until I understood | it. Then I kept my damned hands off of it since it | works right.
I'm glad it works for you. I don't have an issue with that. However, If it's generally so easily understood, how come several people in the "HELP! 2001 Impala Headlights" thread from 7/26 all had _different_ (and mostly wrong) advice to the original posters issue...hmmm!? Damned awful lot of confused people if you ask me! And note how the original poster had to solve his problem. Why? GM's idiotic control design! Note, in the end, how many other people think it's idiotic too.
Seriously though. I haven't any issue providing the "Auto" switch position that you like and that makes you "happy". But like Ford and Chrysler, there should also be a "Off" position for those customers that want that type of control instead. GM CAN do that..it isn't a unreasonable expectation (in fact it's a standard expectation and standard industry practice)
| However, if you prefer to rant to the top | at GM, then that is fine. If I were at the top of GM, | I would certainly ignore your attitude also.
And continually eroding GM market share quarter after quarter and year after year is the proof in the pudding that that is, and will always be, the _wrong_ answer. And erosion continues even with overly generous incentive programs! This country needs GM to get back in the game and find out what the wide breadth of the customer base wants and just answer to them (that's where the money and the future comes from). It's a easy elementary concept, really!
| In the past, when I had some difficult support problem | with some auto, I started with the dealer, then moved | up to the zone manager, each time with a | polite and well-documented letter. But I got results.
Yes, my experiencs also in the past. However, regarding dealing with GM though...been there..done that. I followed the same trail as you described...started with the dealer, etc. all the way with letters to Bob Lutz (so far). All levels basically said things like... "nothing we can do (lie)"..."the design doesn't allow what you want (lie)"..."it's the law (lie)"..."we will no longer accept email from you on this subject (true, they didn't, abd wouldn't call back either)"...etc. Perhaps it was the blatent lies they tole me that really did it for me!! Actually, come to think of it, all levels but Lutz responded, who didn't resond at all.
I also went through the BBB Autoline (at Chevrolet's suggestion which they knew was a wild goose chase) and The States Attorney Consumer Affairs Office after that failed...GM refused to "arbritrate". Consumer Affairs suggested getting a lawyer and going to court under the premise that under the 2002 edition of the Maryland Vehicle Law section TR 22-201.1, the law applies specifically to the _owners_ responsibility and control of the lights and GM's implementation _may_ inappropriately interfere with required said control (and the owners "reasonable" ability to adhere to certain provisions when lighting is required and not required). They felt that the courts should look at the issue if I was willing to persue. Believe it or not, I'm not the suing type..never have been and I won't take it there.
| | I'll let you get back to your rant now. |
Okay, thanks. ;-)
On 5 Aug 2003 08:07:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (Neo) wrote:

Just out of curiousity....what is your opinion of GM's Linden, NJ plant?
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Tim) wrote in message

I'm a car guy, I've only tried to know a little about the vehicles I bought or may buy in the future. I have no clue about truck plants.
Maybe the new redesigned 2004 model will be better. Anyone taking bets? One thing I know....I ain't biting!
wrote: | | >>If so, why? | I would say it is. | | My 2003 Malibu had to have the fuel pump replaced before delivery, as it | was far too noisy. | | Then the driver side front strut mount had to be replaced at 2,500 kms. | | At 10,007 kms (last week) the fuel pressure sensor in the gas tank had | to be replaced as well as one of the tires, as it failed a road force | pressure test. | | The tire is not GMs fault directly, but the that one tire has been a | problem since the initial test drive, and it took 6 months to get | corrected. | | Brad
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:27:51 -0400, "James C. Reeves"

Nope. GM has the reputation with new model that Microsoft has with software...don't touch a 1.0 release.
Brad
| Nope. GM has the reputation with new model that Microsoft has with | software...don't touch a 1.0 release. | | Brad
Good advice.... ;-)