Limbaugh rips GM, Chevy Volt

He questions range of electric vehicle

BY JUSTIN HYDE FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

WASHINGTON -- Radio host Rush Limbaugh tore into General Motors on Wednesday over the Chevrolet Volt, while saying he had taken advertising money from GM last year during its rescue by the Obama administration.

While Limbaugh has been a frequent critic of GM, Chrysler and the auto industry rescue, President Barack Obama's visit to Detroit on Friday will only raise the political profile of the $86-billion plans, something the automakers themselves have been trying to downplay.

Limbaugh spent much of the first part of his show criticizing the Volt and the $41,000 price GM revealed on Tuesday, questioning why the U.S. government needed to add a $7,500 tax credit.

"Obama and the government are admitting nobody wants this," Limbaugh said, repeatedly referring to GM as "Obama Motors."

But Limbaugh also seemed somewhat confused about how the Volt worked, noting it had a gas engine and an electric motor, but suggesting a couple of times that its 40-mile electric-only range was its only power source.

"That 40-mile range has to include you getting home, and staying home three to four hours to charge the thing," Limbaugh said. "It's (a)

20-mile range."

After 40 miles, the Volt's gasoline engine kicks in, giving it about 300 additional miles of range, a figure Limbaugh also questioned.

Ahead of Obama's visit Friday to GM's Detroit-Hamtramck plant where the Volt is built, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the Volt was symbolic of the auto industry's comeback.

"It's a car and manufacturing process and a product that not that long ago people believed wasn't going to be built in this country," he said. "The car and the batteries, because of some of the decisions the president made, are going to be manufactured in America."

Limbaugh admitted that last year following the Obama administration's rescues, he had taken advertising money from GM. His show's archives include his promotions for a GM incentive to cover payments for people who lost their jobs after buying new vehicles.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Is anyone suprised than Limbaug doesn't understand how the Volt works? The guy is a menace. I accept ignorance on the part of individuals (as I hope they except mine), but that windbag has deluded millions of people into believing is more than a loud mouth village idiot.

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Bet at some point Government Obama Motors will give them away.

Reply to
Canuck57

He's a lot like our village idiot, Canuck---If he doesn't have the facts, he just makes some up.

Reply to
Dave

That maybe true, but the Volt is still a dumb car for 99.9% of the people. The cost to benefit ratio is just not there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They may have to. If they dont sell, they will have to make room to store the oncoming production. Mass production, dont you know...

Reply to
hls

Bet at some point Government Obama Motors will give them away. "Canuck57"

They may have to. If they dont sell, they will have to make room to store the oncoming production. Mass production, dont you know... "hls"

They will sell. The $7500 subsidy tax taken from the remaining employed taxpayers to pay people to buy these cars can be raised until they are all sold.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

He ought to run for office...he would fit in perfectly with the rest of these geese.

Reply to
hls

That means it will be quite an advantage to get one or more of these. Really pays off!

I bet people stand in line to get one

Being able to go 20 miles away from home should be enough.

I bet this will be a big hit.

Does this mean that people outside the US will also be paid to take on this long range car?

I would not get one or ten if I get paid for it.

I guess I could also sell it to a scrap heap if it is not more than 40 miles away.

Reply to
Bjorn