Chevy Volt Sparks Garage Fire...

The "Short Circuit", a pyromaniac's favorite car

Chevy Volt Sparks Garage Fire...

Gov't Motors nears 52-week low after report...

Jim_Higgins

Well, as of now the investigation is still open, they are not sure what happened. It is possible that there was a faulty outlet that the Volt was plugged into that caused the fire, whether that can be blamed on the car or not is debatable.

I was told that the Volt does have the ability to detect that there is a power problem with the source, whether that is true, and whether it works properly is also debatable.

But regardless, it is an embarrassment for GM!

Reply to
PeterD

There was a home made Electric car in the garage also the news media forgot to mention?????

Reply to
Tom

There was something, but who knows what. I heard 'Suzuki', I heard home made electric. The idea that it is the fault of the Volt, at this point is perhaps premature.

Reply to
PeterD

It frigging figures... the video on that page was in stretch-o-vision, IE

4x3 stretched to 16x9. Luckily I could fix it by changing the aspect ratio setting on my Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR. (My PC is hooked to the AVR and TV via a DVI-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable, both from Monoprice, along with a coaxial S/PDIF cable for audio)

On that note any heavy electrical load can start a fire, I have noticed an increase in electrical house fires locally each winter ever since those damn scam/ripoff "Amish" and "infrared" heaters were introduced. When I run my space heaters it is exclusively on dedicated 20 amp multiwire branch circuits using 12/3 with ground and good Eagle or Cooper 20 amp receptacles, none of that Leviton crap which melts if you so much as look at it crosswise.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

IIRC, lithium ion batteries have been known to autoignite in computers, phones, etc. I believe the Volt uses this type of battery. This may just be something that happens once in a rare while.

Reply to
hls

So funny, GM Volt, lighting up homes.

Reply to
Canuck57

Not only that, what happens if the Lithium battery packs were melted/burned? Lithium isn't exactly pet friendly.

Reply to
Canuck57