my evaporator freezes, why

2000 gmc jimmy the air conditioner works for about half an hour then stops. a mechanic told me the evaporator is probably freezing. If it is what can I do to fix the problem?
Reply to
oldbud

Why didn't you ask the mechanic? Assuming nothing is actually broken, evap freezups can be caused by having a low refrigerant level. Any competent AC shop, or even a gas station doing simple AC work, can check for leaks and top up the system if there are not any large leaks. You could easily have lost enough refrigerant in 15 years to need a top up and nothing else.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher