2007 Honda Civic Lx

When I bought this car, I didn't notice it had the 205/55/16 tires. Is there a safe way to change from a 55 to at least a 60? The car drives great and
gets good mileage. Just wondered if this has been considered?
mike
James Lewis wrote:

why?

there
and
why?
Price and availablity at local tire stores. Most stores carry the 60 but have to order the 55 which costs about $25 more per tire.
James Lewis wrote:

that's no reason. 1. it'll change the accuracy of your speedo. 2. it'll have a negative affect on handling.
and all for saving $100 on a $17K+ car 3 years from now! quitcher whining and get the proper tires. sheesh.

Your name is appropriate. Sounds like you may have had a few belts. When you drive 50k miles a year, it's not exactly a 3 year deal. Some people have to save where they can.
James Lewis wrote:

and you'll spend more than that on gas consumption differences between tires if you don't know what you're doing.
James Lewis wrote:

If you are driving 50k per year, it is likely for work, meaning you are getting paid for mileage. That is what it is for...
If yo can't afford to properly maintain the car (including proper tires), you probably shouldn't drive it...

HA, brilliant. No its commute miles. Now tell me how stupid I am for living in a small town and working in Dallas. This thread got rather silly. I just asked if it was harmful or feasable to buy a different tire. Now I know it makes no sense to do so. Thats all I wanted to know. Thanks.

James Lewis wrote:

There's no problem with living in a small town and working in Dallas. You should probably pick a small town a little closer than Nevada, though... ;-)
The bottom line is the same. Your whining was to save about $100 every year or two. Skimping on tires when you commute so much is a bad idea. Again, if you can't afford proper maintenance, you shouldn't have a car.
(BTW, by my count, you deserve what you get, being the first to throw stones in this thread...)

Are the 55s a problem? Most people go the other way, from higher profiles to lower ones.
Mike

How come you're worrying about replacement tires? You got a new car!

and
Just thinkin ahead:-)
mike
http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws14=1&ws17=1&tiresize 5%2F55-16&minwidth5&maxwidth!0&minratioP&maxratioe&minwheel&maxwheel&maxdelta=1
or
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Looks like 185/60/16 is your best bet. However, I don't know if going from a 205 to 185 won't actualy worsen the driving stability/comfort.

New tires will go somewhere between 40k and 80k miles, so you sure are thinking ahead! There's probably some wheel/tire combos you can use instead (what does the DX model come with?), but I don't really see the point, either.
J.