Accord Vs Civic

Page 1 of 2
If you do not care about size or anything when it comes to a Honda, which is cheaper to maintain? If one is more than the other is it worth it?

Prolly a civic, they are cheaper to buy, but i would much rather get an accord. They are faster and have more room plus look better.

A stripper DX Civic will be the cheapest to buy/own/maintain.
MAT wrote:

But insurance rates will be higher on the Civic. That may turn the balance the other way, even with the ~$2000 difference at invoice cost.
-Sonarrat.
sonarrat wrote:

I just re-upped my policy for my three Hondas (2004 EXL 4 Door Accord, 2001 EXL 2 door Accord and a 2002 EX Civic).
In looking this over, the Civic is about 60-70% for the same coverage as either Accord.
L Alpert wrote:

It must vary by company and area, then. In my area, with AAA, the Accord DX is the cheapest car to insure, period - regardless of manufacturer. The LX and EX are higher, and the Civics are higher than either of those, then the Civic Si is the worst at about 3x as much as the Accord DX..
-Sonarrat.
Regarding insurance, here in Ontario my 94 Accord EX is rated to be at increased risk for theft, apparently one of the most popular stolen vehicles in North America, and this is apparently factored in with my rate. Not sure if this applys to the newer Accords.
sonarrat wrote:

Scott wrote:

The programmable keys/anti-theft/alarm may make a difference. It will at least keep honest people honest.

Nonsense. "There's no such thing as keeping honest people honest." That's a very tired old cliche.
Auto theft is a crime of opportunity, perpetrated by thieves. If the vehicle is parked outside at night or parked in an open-access lot (mall lot or park-n-ride lot, grocery store lot, your doctor's office lot, etc), it's likely to get stolen. Anti-theft devices only thwart the unskilled auto thief. A well-skilled thief knows exactly how to bypass every one of these devices in a matter of seconds and can steal -any car- he wants to steal. All he needs is the chance (opportunity). More bold/brazen car thieves who want a specific car badly enough will even hijack you while you're in the car and stopped at an intersection. When someone sticks a gun in your face, what are you going to do? Can't start it? No problem, legitimate tow truck operators aren't the only ones who have tow trucks.
Devices like "Lo Jack" can very often recover your car or locate it quickly, but usually *not* before damage, often substantial, has been done. If they want the wheels or air bags, consider them gone, Lo Jack or not. Here again, wheel locks only thwart the common thief. The pro will have the tools to have them off in a matter of seconds.
writes:

It's true nothing is 100%, but the idea is to discourage the vast numbers of 16yr olds who are looking for an easy mark. The pros seem to favor tow trucks, and for those the best defense is to turn your wheels sharply and/or back into the space and set the parking brake (if you are that concerned) to make your car less attractive. Noise-making alarms with motion, proximity and glass-breakage sensors will do a lot for reducing air bag theft. For each model there are things to prevent HID theft. It's all a matter of how much you want to do and pay for protection.
The professionals don't like to take risks, and all those things are risks for the various types of thefts. Amateurs are lazy and would rather go to a car that is easier to steal. Vandals don't care either way and can do extensive damage. Just pay your money and take your choice.
BTW - my son had a carbureted Subaru and he put a concealed kill switch on the electric fuel pump. If a carjacker had confronted him, he could catch the switch on the way out and the bad guy would never have known - the engine will still idle for several seconds. My son would have been away clear by the time the evildoer figured out the car didn't just happen to stall in traffic. I bet there is an equivalent for more modern cars available.
Mike
sonarrat wrote:

I just noted that they have a "violation point" on the Civic for some reason. Last year, the Civic was about 11% higher. I suspect it is because the other two have front side curtain airbags.
Now, to call the insurance company to see what gives on this violation point!
I think if you look you are apt to find that all auto insurance policies are "experience-rated" to a great extent. The cost of the vehicle bears some relationship to what you pay for insurance, but it's not the only factor.
The rating includes (among other things) 1) the percentage of accident claims involving *that* model 2) the average cost to repair *that* model - example, it might be a cheap car but have an expensive front bumper or radiator 3) the average cost to "replace" it (here's where the value figures into the insurance equation) 4) vehicle theft history of *that* specific model (how often is this model stolen compared to other cars) 5) Average ownership demographics (is it a young person's car?) 6) claim history demographics (do you live in a bad neighborhood?) 6) credit score of the owner (very important) 7) driving record of the principal operator (except on parent's policy) 8) claims history of the policyowner (kids accidents will hurt you here) 9) academic record (good students qualify for 10% discount) etc.

Bubba wrote:

Considering nothing has changed from last year to this year along these lines, and the actual rates on the other two cars dropped slightly and the Civic went up 50%, I believe there is some erronious information that they are using.

that sounds right

The Civic is smaller in size than the Accord and has LESS power than the Accord. I would still prefer the Accord because it has more power and is larger. However, If I did not have a well paying full time job, I would settle for a Civic until I could afford to trade it in on an Accord.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
yeah sea world doesnt pay that well

"Jarrett Hurd" wrote

But it's a whale of a job.

It gives you porpoise in life!
haha

Jason wrote:
| || If you do not care about size or anything when it comes to a Honda, || which is cheaper to maintain? If one is more than the other is it || worth it? | | The Civic is smaller in size than the Accord and has LESS power than | the Accord. I would still prefer the Accord because it has more | power and is larger.
My trusty old Civic '88 accomodates me just fine (I'm 6'1), and provides enough power to get around, onto freeways and off. It's been pretty much trouble-free and just recently passed (strict California "Enhanced Area") smog without any effort. It's taken me places, long drives, short drives, has carried two bikes (OK, front wheels taken off) in its trunk, and fits four (not super-sized) people without being totally cramped.
Ask yourself how much power and space you really *need* vs. what you want. We often make the mistake of confusing the two of them.
| However, If I did not have a well paying full | time job, I would settle for a Civic until I could | afford to trade it in on an Accord.
I could afford an Accord, but why would I want to buy one?
Jarrett - if you're on a tight budget, take all the additional costs into account, such as
- insurance - registration - gas (if you drive a lot, especially nowadays)
beside the pure cost of the car plus maintenance.
For pure economical reasons, an older (but well-maintained) Civic would be really hard to beat.