Do I have to use Honda Coolant

Picked up a 98 Civic Lx and am going to change the coolant..
I understand I need to use a non-slicicated coolant..
Dex-Cool or its' equalivant brands fits the bill..I don't know but I
guess it would cost less.
Do I need to use geninue Honda coolant or can I use something else..
Thanks,
Rich
Several people here report that the orange Havoline Dexcool works just fine. I have used Havoline Dexcool in my 91 Civic since late 2002.
Not sure if there's much difference in price, though. Probably less than $20. So if you don't mind driving to the dealer's to buy the stuff, it's arguably your safest bet.
The bearings of the water pump don't do well with other coolants.

Big Brother wrote:

orange dexcool is fine. but dilute with distilled water, /not/ tap water. tap water has minerals that will ruin seals on the parts that move and corrode and clog the parts that don't.

Non-"Silicated".
Silicated antifreeze is the cloudy stuff.

Genuine Honda premix would be advisable, but more important is to make sure you've *completely* got rid of whatever murk is in there now, and that means pulling the block drain as well as the rad drain.
Mixing different antifreezes will likely destroy the Long Life additive package in the new stuff, as you've surely got no idea what's in there now.
Stick a garden hose in the rad filler neck and let it run until the block and rad both run clear. Let drain, close taps, then refill with your selected poison and DISTILLED water. NEVER tap water. If you use Honda premix, it's added straight, not diluted.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

Thanks..BTW I found your web site after I bought the car..It has a lot of good information..
Where is the block drain located on this 98 Civic LX ?
Thanks
Rich

B16A engine: To left of exhaust manifold when standing at front bumper facing to the rear of the car.
D16Y engine: Immediately to the left of the oil filter, when you're under the car, facing forwards toward the engine. It's about at the 10:00 position, if the top of the filter is 12:00.
Also make sure heater control lever is set to FULL HOT when draining/rinsing/filling! And remove the expansion reservoir (pull up off clips), wash it out and refill with fresh mix.