The Call of the Civic - 2006 Version

Due a smart move by my wife many moons ago, we live in a house by a lake well populated by Great Blue Herons and graceful White Herons. Beautiful birds, but their call resembles that of a crow being
strangled. In my garage resides 2006 LX Civic sedan. Beautiful bird, same dismal call. In looking around the www, I could only find one alternate horn, here: http://www.eautoworks.com/html/search-1-Civic~Cars~Horn.htm and I have no idea what it sounds like. So, has anyone ever installed one of these, or some other alternative to replace the horn provided. Any thoughts, input would help. Now, a quick look at the car makes it look like getting at the horn could be a real problem. I would look in my Service Manual, but Helm doesn't have them, because Honda hasn't provided them, and Honda Customer Service says they have no information on when the manual will be available. So, has anyone been into that portion of the car. If it will take major surgery, it may not be worth it. Pity. Such a great car; such a crappy horn Roy
Hello SuperTone
Roy Starrin wrote:

ishmale wrote:

...but he meant to write: Hella SuperTone

Roy Starrin wrote:

Hahaha, I love it :)

Any decent auto-parts store should have a wide range of replacement horns, including air horns - Schucks, Pep Boys, NAPA, Lordco, Canadian Tire... whatever is "native" to your area. Or go to a wrecker and pull a set of horns out of an old '64 Dodge or something. They're a pretty simple device - ground one side, apply power to the other side, and clean out the earwax. Just about any horn from any car should work (at worst you may need to add a relay), so find something that you like the sound of, and plop it in there. I got a little $30 set of air horns from a liquidation store for my '87 Accord and they're GREAT!
Sample link: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?categorycode074

Being somewhat of a mechanical misfit, I guess I was looking for a simple plug-in-a-different one approach. Looking at where the horn is, I guess I'll leave my reverse engineering until the warranty dies and I have no qualms about taking things apart. But thanks to all.
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:45:49 GMT, Roy Starrin wrote:

I am considering replacing the horn on my Civic Si as well. The little girly horn just annoys me.
I can't imagine it voiding warranty unless the horn stop working... ;-)
The toughest part is finding a replacement horn with decent sound that will fit in where the current one is, or finding a suitable location and running wires...
--
Joseph M. LaVigne
snipped-for-privacy@hits-buffalo.com

much, unless I would have to take off half the front end to get to the site for it, or if they would contend that it would void the warranty for the enire electrical system. Running "extra" wiring and/or installing a different horn would certainly void whatever warranty there is for the affected equipment, but would be worth it if I useable horn with a suitable voice could be installed. I may wander by my local service Dept and see what it would cost, if I provided the horn. Certainly they can dig that out of their time/rate software.
Roy Starrin wrote:

I don't see where simply adding a horn would void any warranty. With my airhorns, one wire off the relay connects to the battery, one to a ground, one to the horn compressor, and one to the factory horn wire. On my '87 Accord, I just drop a plastic panel ahead of the wheel well, pull the wire in, and ScotchLock it to the appropriate wire - no cutting required. The horns themselves mount in the space between the grille and the radiator. If it did become an issue, the whole thing could be removed with virtually no sign it had ever existed.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:06:44 GMT, Roy Starrin wrote:

I am sure that if you want it done, they can come up with a way to charge you for it... ;-)
--
Joseph M. LaVigne
snipped-for-privacy@hits-buffalo.com
Hey, this is pretty clever spam! TL

regurgitated:

Buzz off. I recognized when I wrote this that someone would undoubtedly say that my request is/was actually spam. My trust in human nature has not gone unrewarded. You missed the part where I castigated Honda and Helm for their inability to put a Service Manual on the street You want spam; here's spam.
Roy Starrin National/International News Editor VirginiaNewsSource.com