UPDATE: '95 Civic with intermittent A/C failure

Hi all, A while back, I asked for advice about a pesky intermittent A/C problem I was having with my '95 Civic (80,000 miles on it). Namely, the A/C
just doesn't work much of the time; occasionally it favors me with some cold air, but most of the time it doesn't. My regular mechanic failed to fix it.
Folks here suggested I take the car to a Honda dealership. Which I did. Last Thursday. Today, they told me they think they finally figured it out--a bad Heater Control Unit in the dash. Evidently it's badly grounded and is overheating or something.
I never heard of this before. What does this Heater Control Unit do? Is that the entire climate control assembly on the dash or something? Anyone else experience a similar problem?
--
Steven L.
Email: snipped-for-privacy@earthlinkNOSPAM.net