UPDATE: '95 Civic with intermittent A/C failure

Hi all, A while back, I asked for advice about a pesky intermittent A/C problem I was having with my '95 Civic (80,000 miles on it). Namely, the A/C just doesn't work much of the time; occasionally it favors me with some cold air, but most of the time it doesn't. My regular mechanic failed to fix it.

Folks here suggested I take the car to a Honda dealership. Which I did. Last Thursday. Today, they told me they think they finally figured it out--a bad Heater Control Unit in the dash. Evidently it's badly grounded and is overheating or something.

I never heard of this before. What does this Heater Control Unit do? Is that the entire climate control assembly on the dash or something? Anyone else experience a similar problem?

Reply to
Steven L.

has several reports of this being replaced/needed for Hondas around 1995, at least one with photos. Do a search of the archives there using the words "heater control unit." Appears to be, like you say, the entire climate control assembly on the dash. Ebay shows photos of same. I expect it's something very specific within the unit that failed, but replacement of the entire assembly may be worthwhile, given the labor to get the thing out and completely diagnosed.

"Steven L." wrote

Reply to
Elle