1st gear rough

I got a 1999 Elantra sedan for my Daughter It runs great except for in 1st gear the car wants to sputter and jump until 2and gear then everything is
fine why?
Sounds like a misfire. Is your check engine lamp on? Are there any trouble codes stored?
yes check engine is on
how do you check trouble codes ? Diagnostic Machine
You'll need some sort of code reader, or will need to take it somewhere that has one. In many places, Auto Zone advertises it will read codes for free. I'm guessing you have a code something like P030x where x represents the misfiring cylinder. You can then check the plug, wire, etc. on that cylinder. You can check them beforehand, but won't find out if there are any other trouble codes which may indicate other relevant problems.