2000 Elantra cylinder missing

I have a 2000 Elantra. Just recently it acted like it was missing on one cylinder. This happened once before, but then seemed to correct itself. I figured I would change the plugs. Sure enough, #3 was black
and not firing. I looked at the wires at night, and didn't see any arcing. Any idea what could cause this. My next guess is a plugged injector. Maybe I should run some injector cleaner. Any ideas on diagnosing. It has been cold here(-10 degrees F)and we keep the car in a heated garage at night. Maybe it's got water, but I would think that would affect all cylinders.

My guess is you have a bad wire. Just because you don't see arcing does not mean the wire is good. There could be an internal break.
> My next guess is a plugged

You can try the computer. Even though you don't get a check engine light there may still be a code. I don't think it is an injector and, IMO, additives are just a waste of money.
It has been cold here(-10 degrees F)and we keep the car in

Does your gas contain ethanol? Many blends do and it eliminates the water problems because it is like having Dry Gas all the time.
Buy a GM

I did. It is falling apart so I bought a new Sonata instead of a new Buick.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That is too bad (not the buying the Sonata part, but the fact that your GM fell apart).
My 1994 Chevy pickup has really fit the advertising well (like a rock). It just keeps going and going and I mean this truck is used as a truck. I haul firewood with it and plow snow (well most winters anyway!). I expect it will easily last another 6-7 years and I'll probably take it off the road when it turns 20. It is just now starting to show some rust which is pretty amazing given the amount of road salt that both PA and NY use and I drive about equal miles in both states in the winter.
I've been very pleased with the reliability of my Sonata, but I have also been very pleased with my GM truck. I'll buy another one without reservation.
Matt

My '91 Regal was OK. After 16 years it was wearing and needed too much to be of value, but until the past couple of years, it was a great car. Engine and tranny were still top notch and performed as well as the day I bought it 150,000 miles earlier.
My '01 LeSabre is not of the same caliber. Too many little things started going and not covered under warranty. Now that it is the second car, it will probably last for some time, but it is not going to last long as the everyday driver. Well, the transmission probably will since it was rebuilt last year. In addition to the transmission, I spent about $1000 for other repairs. Plus two of the windows are propped up with wood since they broke.
Fed up with GM, I took a chance on Hyundai. So far, three months and 8800 miles, it has been flawless. So far, I'm impressed. I'll let you know for sure in a few more years.
Junk, get rid of it!!!!!

It's a worn out piece of shit, scrap it

Sometimes its difficult to see the marks from an arcing wire. I usually check for stubborn ones by removing the wires from the plugs and then setting them back on the plugs without snapping them back in place. I then start the car and pull the wire off the plug gradually. A good wire will keep snapping out the end until its so far away from the plug that it cannot arc. A bad wire will start jumping usually as soon as it gets a little way away from the plug.
If the misfire is obvious, you should concentrate on the plugs, wires, and coil first. Only move on to other possibilities after youve eliminated those.
"ghack" wrote: > I have a 2000 Elantra. Just recently it acted like it was > missing on > one cylinder. This happened once before, but then seemed to > correct > itself. I figured I would change the plugs. Sure enough, #3 > was black > and not firing. I looked at the wires at night, and didn't > see any > arcing. Any idea what could cause this. My next guess is a > plugged > injector. Maybe I should run some injector cleaner. Any > ideas on > diagnosing. It has been cold here(-10 degrees F)and we keep > the car in > a heated garage at night. Maybe it's got water, but I would > think that > would affect all cylinders.