Elantra 2000 steering vibration

Hi, There is a steering vibration with my elantra, the problem occur over 100Km/h (63 Mil/h). The problem is recent, i got to the mechanic shop and got my front wheels balanced, the mechanician told me that he balanced the two wheels but it was not so imbalanced. The problem is still there and has not taper off at all, so it was not a balancing problem. The vibration have a good amplitude, my hands are shaking. The brakes and the discs are new, there is no vibration when braking or when driving under 100Km/h. What coud be the cause?

Thanks.

Reply to
Syl

I had a similar problem recently on my Elantra. Have the mechanic check the tire itself for tread separation or other problems. When my tires were replaced, the vibration went away. There are of course other possibilities, but having the wheels balanced and checking the brakes should cover most of the other common causes (from what little I know).

Reply to
Bruce Guenter

Switch tires, Front Back.

Reply to
Partner

I had the same problem 4 years ago with a brand new Elantra. It turned out that the wheels seemed balanced, but passing a certain speed they were out of balance. took the serviceman a couple of tries before he'd figured it out. Had to spin it up and balancing it that way.

Daisy

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

If he wasn't spin balancing (Dynamic) in the first place, I'd avoid him in the future. Anybody doing a static balance should be avoided.

Reply to
DonC

Well over here in Denmark not many makes a dynamic at first, and some get pretty confused when it's necessart. By the way I normally use another, but the dealer used this one and as it was a question of guarantee.....

Daisy

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Now i know that the problem don't come from my wheels because i installed the winter tires/rims and the problem is still there with different tires and different rims. I inspected all the joints and everything in in good conditions, there is no slack. Is there a possibility that the problem comes from the steering rack?

Thanks.

Reply to
Syl

The problem is finally found it's a bent hub. Vibration is not really a simple problem to solve because it can come from many sources. I let you know what my experience and readings had listen to me, this is a check list by priority.

- A common cause is a wheel imbalance, it can be a good start to get it check in a shop. It doesn't cost a lot.

- Do a road test, drive until the vibration occur, then get the transmission in neutral, if the vibration continue it eliminates the possibility that it comes from the motor or transmission mount.

- Check for a worn steering tie rod ends inner and outer.

- Check the control arm ball joint and the bushings.

- Other sources of vibration may come from tires, wheels, hubs. A good way to pinpoint those problems is with a dial indicator. There is a good article on this subject in the Popular Mechanics web site, the name of the article is "Diagnosing And Repairing Wheel Vibration". To summarise the goal is to measure the deviation on some points, radial and lateral, first on the tire, if the deviation exceed the limit the check is done on the wheel if the deviation is out of spec the measure is done on the hub. With this procedure it's possible to determine the origin of the offset, tire or wheel or hub, in my case it was the hub. I haven't found a dial indicator in my sector so I used the poor man dial indicator made from a hanger, and I used my calliper to measure the deflexion. The precision was sufficient on tires and rims but not an off for the hub.

- Lift the two front wheels and start the motor, then look the rotation of the wheels if the offset is important you will see it right away, it was my case, the offset was two times the maximum permitted.

- Verify the sway bar bushings and links

- Verify the shock absorbers, bad shocks may amplify the vibrations

- An alignment is not the good choice since it's normally not a cause of vibration.

Good Lock

Reply to
Syl