2002 Sonata LS 2.7L

When trying to start the car, it rolls over for 10 + seconds before it starts. Once it does start it idells rough until the excess gas is burnt off. The car runs great going down the road. I've replaced the plugs and the
coill. I didn't replace the wires, but they have only been on the car for 14 months.
Any help would be great!
Thanks, Dave
Any difficulty restarting after fueling?
It doesn't seem to matter either way. It acts like it's flooded or not getting enough spark, but it doesn't miss after it's running. Could it be that the injectors are staying open after the car is shut off?

I cannot figure out from your reply whether you have a long crank time after refueling.
What I want to know is, when you pull into a gas station and fuel the vehicle, do you then have the long crank time when restarting it, or does it start normally?
I'll check tonight when I re-fuel.

Damn you're good. It started right up. What is it?

It started right away once. After that the crank time was long.

Dave wrote:

Makes one wonder if you have a venting problem in the fuel tank. Removing the cap would let air in and temporarily vent the tank. Hopefully, hyundaitech will chime in, but that would be my first guess given the circumstances you describe.
Matt
I was hoping for a long crank time immediately after refueling. That would indicate a stuck open purge valve. Since that didn't occur, I'd suspect a faulty fuel pressure regulator bleeding the fuel pressure off intermittently when the engine is off. The only way to know for certain if that's the problem is to have a fuel pressure gauge attached and verify that the pressure drops below about 20PSI after turning off the engine immediately prior to the condition reoccurring.
The short crank time after my first post was a fluke. I've filled the tank 3 times since then and let the car sit for a few minutes. Each time it was a long crank time. The car will start with a short crank time if it only sits a few minutes after it has been shut off.

hey, try cleaning out the throttle body, this causes a few problems on the newer sonata. also try replacing the fuel pump relay, its 5 years old now and may be getting lazy