car starts runs 5-10 seconds

I have a 1993 chrysler new yorker that I ran the battery down and the theft prevention operated, I followed the manflurers instruction to shut the alarm of, and jump start the car. It now starts and runs for 5-10 seconds then shuts off.(no trouble codes show on the computer) It will rlun a little longer if I pumpp the accelerator, sas if it is not getting fuel through the injectors-any suggestions/thanks

Reply to
terry l demerchant

did you lock and unlock both passenger side and drivers side door with the key?

Reply to
maxpower

----- Original Message ----- From: "maxpower" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.chrysler Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 6:56 PM Subject: Re: car starts runs 5-10 seconds

More then likely the problem you are having is both door ARM/DISARM switches are bad. This will cause the system to not be able to disarm itself. You would have to have someone with a scan tool be able to monitor the theft system inputs and outputs to see if those switches are working. They are located on the inside door, mounted on the key cylinders.

Reply to
maxpower

Sounds to me like he needs a throttle body cleaning if he can make it run longer by pumping the gas pedal,PCM loses the memory after battery replacement type situation,watcha think Mr. Beasley

Reply to
TNKEV

Sure, if he can keep it running with the throttle blade cracked open, But when the OP states the theft prevention operated, that tells me that his security lite is on and killing the engine. I have seen this alot, people don't use there security system any more and when the battery craps out, they try to disarm it, it doesn't work cause the switches are no good...time will tell if the OP resubmits

Reply to
maxpower

I just had one(Grand Cherokee) yesterday that the throttle body was very dirty and it wouldn't stay running after the battery was replaced and we cleaned the throttle body out in the parking lot and it started fine. but you are correct I have seen both situations.

Reply to
TNKEV