2003 Elantra and tie rod ends

I bought a set of tires today for my 2003 Elantra GLS (120k miles) and was told there's play in the tie rod ends. I tried to assess how serious this was and they said it could cause vibration in the steering system. I haven't been experiencing any vibration and the tires track straight, tire wear is even. So, first off is it likely given the mileage that there is play in the tie rod ends or are they BSing me? Second, if there is play can I safely wait until I can actually perceive a problem, eg vibration, or should it be attended to immediately? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Victek

John

I see many worn tie rod ends on 2001-2006 Elantras. I replace many within the warranty period as well. So it doesn't surprise me that yours would be worn at 120k. Should the ball-and-socket come apart, you would lose your steering capabilities and the vehicle would likely stop abruptly. While a small amount of play isn't likely to become large overnight, this is still technically a safety concern, and I suspect it would fail a safety inspection in most jurisdictions.

The 2000-2005 Accent uses the same tie rod end, but for whatever reason, I see much fewer failures on these vehicles. Perhaps it has something to do with the weight of the vehicle or size of the tire.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the reply. If the tie rod wear were significant enough to be a safety concern would it be perceivable while driving? Would I notice the car not tracking straight ahead, or vibration, or something? I will understand if you can't answer with certainty, but I feel skeptical about the problem given that the car drives perfectly and they've tried to "up-sell" other dubious services to me in the past. I will probably have to take it somewhere else to be looked at, but I still would appreciate your opinion.

Reply to
Victek

"Victek" wrote

Before spending big bucks, it may pay you to get a second opinion from a good independent shop or another dealer. Hard to say from here if you need the work or not. Some dealers are great and honest, others not so much.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is often the case, but not always. There are specific tests for ball joint play and yours should be checked by a qualified technician. Most service manuals outline the procedure and it is fairly simple.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Reply to
Victek

Agreed, especially if you've had dubious recommendations from this shop in the past. I'm normally a factory-parts kind of guy, but I don't see any particular evidence that the factory tie rod ends are any better than the aftermarkets on this particular application.

Any play at all in a tie rod end is grounds for replacement. At the onset, it won't be enough for you to notice anything abnormal. Depending on whether one or both are worn and how much they're worn, you could experience wandering or vibration.

Reply to
hyundaitech