ABS & TCS warning lights stay on

I have a July 98 Sonata Levant which has the ABS & TCS warning lights always on. The local dealer recommends that I replace the ABS pump for around $5K.
How can I determine if it really is a fault with the pump?
Could this just be an elctrical / instrument fault?
Cheers, Martin.
The first step is to know the trouble code. What code did the local dealer find?
Ultimately, however, there is probably no way for someone over the internet to do a better diagnosis than the dealer that actually inspected the vehicle. If you don't think they're correct, or if you'd just like some insurance that the diagnosis is correct, your best bet is probably to just go get a second opinion at a shop qualified to do diagnostics on ABS systems. Don't know what country you're in or what chains are there, but in the U.S., the run of the mill brake chain shops would be a very poor place to have this sort of diagnosis done.
Sorry dont have the trouble code on me. I tried a skid test in the car and determined that the ABS is not working. I have also been able to source a 2nd hand pump for around AU$350. So I think I'll try out one of those first.
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers, Martin.