Hyundai Excell 1994 Died

I have been hearing a noise coming from the left hand side of the car similar to the sound of a UV joint going out. I assume that this is the timing belt slipping. Today, the car suddenly died and wouldn't restart. The engine would crank, and there was plenty of juice, but zero compression.

I'm assuming that it is the timing belt. If it is, how do I replace it, and how long should it take?

Thanks

Reply to
hman1324

Considering that the car has an interference engine, you've probably damaged the valvetrain. If the valvetrain is damaged, it means new valves, guides and seals at a minimum. You may also have damaged the pistons, which would require a major engine rebuild.

If you want to try replacing the timing belt, it's a pretty easy job, but you'll need a manual. You can check Hyundai's Webtech site to see if the factory manual is posted online. If not, the Haynes manual for the car covers timing belt replacement. Figure it will take 2-3 hours.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Will I need to buy more than just the belt? Do I absolutely need a new tensioner?

Thanks

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Reply to
hman1324

I'm guessing that you're asking because cost is an issue for you. If that's the case you are probably in bigger trouble than you want to be. Like Brian said, valve train damage in an interference engine is predictable when a timing belt breaks. You are likely going to be at a price point where the additional couple of dollars for the tensioner is insignificant.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The good news is that although the fuel injected Mitsubishi 1.5 is

*technically* an interference engine, I believe I've only once seen a piston in one of these touch valves. If you really think it's the timing belt, pull the upper cover off and line up the camshaft and see if the crankshaft pulley is at TDC. If it is, then you know the timing belt is not the issue.

This car has a pretty simple spring-loaded timing belt tensioner. Spin it when you take the belt off. It should turn with some resistance, but not be notchy or rough. If it's okay, go ahead and reuse it. If not, replace it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

From your description I doubt you've *broke* the belt but merely jumped a few teeth. You would have heard some banging noises when the issue occurred if you had actually broken the belt.

Reply to