elantra cabin filter

I am working on a 2002 Elantra GLS , attempting to change cabin filter. I opened the glove compartment, unhooked the left and right clip, the glove compartment dropped down 2 inches more. I can get
access to the black conduit about 12 " X 2" , removed screw to lever arm, unclipped two top clip hooks, opened it , found no cabin filter. Question is: can I simply put a cabin filter there?

Yuo - that's what I did.
I can't imagine why they went to the lengths to design a system that could take a filter, but choose not to install one - maybe it was a premium package option or something?

. Yeah, I have a 2003 Elantra GLS and discovered there was no cabin filter - seems to be the norm.