Attn HyundaiTech: TPMS light comes on and radio shuts off on 2013 Elantra GLS

HT,

At about 300 miles on my new 2013 Elantra GLS, the TPMS light came on twice and my radio shut off both times. I went to the dealer and he went into the fuse box and said something was loose and pushed it in. TPMS light went and radio came back on. The other night I was driving home and TPMS light came on and radio shut off again. This is now at

980 miles. All tires are at around 33PSI cold and there is no leak. The radio was off the whole drive home and the TPMS light was on solid the whole drive home. This morning I drove to work and the TPMS light was off and radio worked. Since this has happened 3 times, I am starting to wonder about how smart it was for Hyundai to make the radio and the TPMS on the same circuit or whatever. It's more than annoying to lose my radio just because the TPMS light comes on. Any idea what this could be? Anything I could look at in the fuse box?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

It's not so much that a failure in the TPMS will take out the radio, becaus e that'd be almost impossible. It is the case, however, that memory power is provided to both the radio and the TPMS system via the same fuse.

Your car has a sophisticated system for depowering items after the car isn' t used for certain periods of time, and it may be that system that is malfu nctioning. If you pull the fuse box cover, you'll see a switch that reads "on" and "off". The switch should be in the "on" position.

Realistically, I cannot th> HT,

Reply to
hyundaitech

HT,

Thanks much for the response. I'll take a peek at the switch to make sure it is in the ON position. I don't see any recalls for this issue but if it happens again, I'll let the dealership deal with it. Seems something is wonky.

that'd be almost impossible. It is the case, however, that memory power is provided to both the radio and the TPMS system via the same fuse.

used for certain periods of time, and it may be that system that is malfunctioning. If you pull the fuse box cover, you'll see a switch that reads "on" and "off". The switch should be in the "on" position.

you're driving the car, no matter the position of the switch. It'd be my suspicion that the smart junction block (fuse box) has an internal issue causing this circuit to be depowered. I've replaced a couple for this or similar issues, but that was 1.5 to 2 years ago. Regardless, this is just a guess. Your servicing dealer is in a much better position to determine the cause than I am.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Hyundaitech knows far more of your real problem than I'd venture to guess so I'm not touching that aspect of things.

I've heard of many people (all brands of cars) having the TPMS light come on as soon as the weather gets cold or on a chilly morning. Mine came on a couple of times when it got cold too, but adding just a half pound of pressure seemed to cure that aspect.

If the light comes on even after the radio problem is fixed, try a psssst of air in each tire and see if that works.

With my last car, the light came on a second time and it annoyed me, but the tire shop pulled a 4" nail out of it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

HGT,

This weekend I pulled off the fuse panel and took a look at that ON/OFF switch. On first inspection, it looked very clearly in the ON position. However, I noticed it had about 1-2mm of travel left toward the ON position. Meaning, it was in the ON position but the ON/OFF slider could go down a tad bit farther. So, I pushed it down all the way to the bottom and additional 1-2mm. Perhaps it was in the ON position but just not all the way down and this was the culprit. I'll have to wait and see now.

that'd be almost impossible. It is the case, however, that memory power is provided to both the radio and the TPMS system via the same fuse.

used for certain periods of time, and it may be that system that is malfunctioning. If you pull the fuse box cover, you'll see a switch that reads "on" and "off". The switch should be in the "on" position.

you're driving the car, no matter the position of the switch. It'd be my suspicion that the smart junction block (fuse box) has an internal issue causing this circuit to be depowered. I've replaced a couple for this or similar issues, but that was 1.5 to 2 years ago. Regardless, this is just a guess. Your servicing dealer is in a much better position to determine the cause than I am.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Good catch. I'm interested in whether this is all it was.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hopefully that's all it was. I'll update this thread if it comes back.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Well, 1600 miles later, the light has not come on again. Looks like that was what it was. Info worth passing along.

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)

Well, 7400 miles later and it still hasn't come on. Just following up on my previous message to confirm the problem was solved by pushing the switch fully down.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

For about a year now, I will be on the road and suddenly the tire pressure light goes on, then within seconds the radio/ USB port/lighter and clock go out. Then just as fast it will come back on but the time between on off an d on varies without cause. If the car is in this state when I park, I canno t lock the car at all, with remote or inside the car.

I have had it looked at months ago but nothing wrong could be found. Mechan ic could only advise that I bring it in when it is happening but since it i s undetermined when and how long this will occur, nothing has been able to be fixed.

One customer in the listing here suggested that a fuse is the result and th at it needs to be pushed into the on position. However, I have looked and n ot being a mechanic I pushed all the fuses in tightly but no difference in result.

This is more of a frequent inconvenience, however I am wondering if the air bags are connected here as well resulting in the airbags going off while d riving and not being available for protection.

Reply to
Jenniferkstewart