Elantra timing belt question for HyundaiTech

My daughters 2002 Elantra is coming up shortly on 60000 miles. I recall HyundaiTech stating that a Hyundai Belt was required (to keep the warranty
good) and that he didn't recommend replacing the water pump at this time. Is there any other component, like idler or balance shaft belt, that should be replaced to maintain the warranty? The local dealer has quoted me $400 to replace the belt, but I forgot to ask what all that includes. Hopefully it includes the belt. I intend to buy accessory belt(s) and ask them to use them when they reassemble everything. I haven't looked yet, so I don't know how many there are (1 or 2). thanks Bill

400$ is very expensive for just the timing belt.
Had my 2001 done at my local dealer(Montreal QC) 275$ cdn.

There's nothing else you'd need to change on the '02 Elantra. Your dealer may appreciate you a little more if you ask them to install the (3)drive belts rather than bringing aftermarkets. And don't be afraid to shop around. The price here for this job is about $450, but as I've said before, our prices tend to be on the high end. Just make certain that a factory belt is used.
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:35:21 -0500, "hyundaitech"

Although not required, it is a good idea to replace the tensioner and the idler pulley. A lot of people go ahead and replace the water pump, the cam seal, the belt tensioner, the drive belts and the idler pulley too. Mainly because the labor cost is cheaper to get it all done at one time and some people have had failures soon after the timing belt was done. It will be expensive to have those replaced if they fail after the belt is done. I was quoted $745 for parts and labor (and free rental car) at a dealer in Sacramento, CA.
If he's the original owner, the water pump is still covered by the 10/100 powertrain warranty. This engine doesn't have a hydraulic tensioner. In my experience, the failure rate of the tensioner pulleys is low, but they're not powertrain items, so if they do fail, the customer would be responsible for all parts/labor costs.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:04:28 -0500, "hyundaitech"

It may not have a hydraulic tensioner, but does have a tensioner. It is shown the exploded view on hmaservice.com.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:30:57 -0800, 1

Is it really cheaper for the owner? Around here they flat rate everything. Because that assumes the only task being done is the listed item the dealer and mechanic make out but not the end user.

I have to question that. Though I can't really argue with the statement because I don't know where "here" is, but that would be quite unlikely almost anyplace. I'd suggest calling the dealer and asking them precisely what the charges would be. Any dealer would be willing to quote the work.
One often hears the "around here they do this..." kind of statement that is most generally based on myth and a desire to bash dealer pricing and not on actual (non-anecdotal) experience. Try negotiating with the dealer. It does not always work but it often works. The worst they can say is "no", but you don't know if you don't try.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Western NY state. AFAIK it is common practice anywhere I have heard of in the US. It certainly was why my son paid over $1000 for a brake job in California and was quoted that in Phoenix, AZ. Maybe that is changing, It would be interesting to find out.

precisely
work.
is
on
Well - I'm in Central NY state - the Syracuse area to be more precise. I guess we're sorta neighbors. What I can assure you is that you stand a very good chance of not experiencing the flat rate everything syndrome if you simply talk to the dealer. I don't use the dealer or any other mechanic most of the time, because I do all of my own work, but I have had work quoted and on rare occasions even took them up on the deal. I've negotiated prices also. Just did so a week ago. My wife had her car in for warranty work, the dealer suggested a maintenance item that I didn't disagree with (in terms of it being a good idea), but is something I would have normally done myself. I offered the dealer about 60% of what they normally charge flat rate and they immediately agreed to the price. At that point it was only a small amount over what I would have cost me in materials to do the job - and I didn't have to tie up a couple-few hours fooling with it!
Common practices are often - usually more common myth. Not to say that dealers can't take a big bite, but there is so much more evidence of fair (though on the high side) pricing. Can't speak to your son's experience. Don't know anything about the deal. $1000 for a brake job certainly implies more than rotors and pads.