Timing belt or chain?

Which one is used in Subies? If timing belt, what is the recommended replacement interval?

Reply to
Cameo

Which Subie? Which year? Which engine? You inquiry is extremely vague as it would cover every car that Subaru ever made.

What Kind of Timing System Does My Subaru Have? Since 2013, all Subaru engines have been equipped with timing chains rather than belts - except for the high-performance Subaru WRX and WRX STI. The WRX got one more year with a timing belt in 2014, and the WRX STI still uses a timing belt to this day. That's because these engines are designed to be driven hard by enthusiasts who enjoy taking their car on twisty two-lane roads and track days. The extra stress of high-performance driving means replacing parts like timing belts more often. Using a timing belt instead of a chain makes replacement easy, so these engines can work extra hard and stay in time. For chains, Subaru claims a lifetime longevity.

On my old 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon (which got junked in 2016 only due to severe mechanical problems unrelated to the engine), a belt was used. The recommended replacement interval, I believe, was 60K, but I didn't bother until sometime in the 80K mileage range.

Their H6 engine has had a chain for many years, like 15 years. The EJ engine used a timing belt. The FB engine came out in 2010 and had a timing chain.

"The Subaru FB engine is the third and current generation of gasoline boxer-4 engine used in Subaru automobiles, and was announced on 23 September 2010." "The FB has an all new block and head featuring dual overhead cams with intake and exhaust variable valve timing (which Subaru designates as AVCS, standing for Active Valve Control System), and a timing chain that replaced the timing belt."

The FA version came after around 2012 and was a variant of the FB engine version.

No idea which Subie you are asking about since you didn't say. Here's a list of Subaru engines:

I'll let you do the reading to see which engine had a timing belt of timing chain to match with your unidentified year and model of Subie.

Reply to
VanguardLH

I figured naming model year was not necessary as manufacturers prefer one method or the other for all their models. I guess later on you proved that Subaru prefers timing chains. So do I.

Reply to
Cameo

Some models have had timing chains many years before other models got them. Some models kept using timing belts (easier to change) because of high stress and wear (i.e., sports models). You didn't give a year range. I could've assume you meant some model in the last few years, but you might also be looking at used Subies.

Reply to
VanguardLH

The latest compact crossovers, Crosstrek/XV.

Reply to
Cameo

That's for a timing chain in the 2018 Crosstrek. Notice the other models that use this timing chain. Also, as noted before, all FB engines introduced back in 2012 use timing chains.

Timing chains don't need replacement. Well, the service guidelines stop at 100K miles, so they don't tell you. However, the pulley bearing or rollers will eventually need replacing due to wear. Mine needed the pulley bearing replaced after 85K, but then the leaking head gasket (a problem with several model years with Subaru) was getting replaced. Since the mechs were already there with all that apart, I had them replace the pulley. My 2002 used a belt, so I had them do it at the same time (since belts got replaced at about 60K and I was already up to

85K). Replacing the timing chain, pulleys, or rollers usually gets done when you have some other repair requiring pulling the cover plate on the front, or until there is a failure (which could be the timing won't hold or drift). If they're already pulling it apart, might as well as have them look at and repair the timing chain, pulley, rollers if needed instead of paying again for the labor.

I can't remember which car I owned a long time ago when its timing belt broke. It was a non-interference engine, so it was like the engine turned off. I managed to steer the car to the shoulder to get it towed. I was in the right lane, so getting onto the shoulder wasn't having to maneuver through traffic.

DOHC - Interference engine SOHC - Non-interference engine

My 2002 Legacy is a SOHC engine, and uses a timing belt. If it breaks, I lose all engine power and hopefully can struggle with the steering wheel (no longer having power assist) to get the car off the road.

The Crosstrek has a DOHC engine. If the timing chain breaks, the pistons smash against the valves and the engine self destructs.

I would think a shop couldn't get your car timed if the chain had stretched, tension pulley's bearing was worn, or rollers were worn. Maybe not; i.e., maybe a shop can't tell the condition of those parts without taking off the cover plate to actually look. While timing belts had something like a 60K recommended replacement interval, timing chains are beyond the service guidelines which often stop at 100K.

That one goes out to 132K. I don't own a Crosstrek to see what its Subaru manual says, and I'm not running out to the garage to see what is listed for my old 2002 Legacy or new 2018 Outback. Notice the STI is still listed as having a belt. The chart says "Note all 2018 Forester, Outback, Legacy, Impreza, BRZ, Crosstrek, and WRX have a timing chain which doesn't need replacement". Well, that means there is no scheduled replacement interval because it exceeds any chart or Subaru's specs. You can wait until the chain breaks and then have to replace the engine, or you could have the car shop take off the plate and do a physical inspection at whatever interval with which you feel comfortable, like every 120K miles. Depends on when you feel your pocket has spare change to spend on preventative maintenance beyond the scheduled maintenance.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Just copied this from a maintenance schedule:

"Note all 2019 Forester, Outback, Ascent, Legacy, Impreza, BRZ, Crosstrek, and WRX have a timing chain which doesn't need replacement"

STI still has a belt which needs replacement at 96k miles.

Reply to
Frank

For any vehicle with a timing belt, mileage is just one consideration. The age of the belt is just as important. Rubber timing belts, like tires, age and deteriorate even if the car is not a high-mileage vehicle. When I took my 12-year-old WRX in for service the shop recommmended changing the timing belt even though the car had less than

60,000 miles. The techs and service advisors always say "That's a great car!". I hope to keep it that way for many more years.
Reply to
Ben Jammin

Of course it said miles or months. I just neglected to mention it.

Reply to
Frank

Ah yes- yet another product of dumbed-down government schools ,-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Ah yes, yet another product or out dumbed-down, politically correct educational system

Reply to
Wade Garrett