Help from Hyundaitech for my 97 Elantra

My poor ol 97 Elantra's(240,000 miles) check engine light has come on. It's still running, but not well. Replaced the wires and plugs and it still has a
slight miss and low power. Anyway I had it scanned at Autozone and it gave a code that the Cam Position Sensor was showing high resistance. In your experience does these sensors get weak(they're magnetized) or go bad. I would suppose if it was shot the car wouldn't run at all, but I'm just guessing there. I understand it could be anywhere in the system associated with this sensor up to and including the ECM.
Thanks, Rick
Rick, my wife had a similar problem just the other day. Her 2003 Santa Fe was fine when she went to work but on the way home the check engine light came on and she suffered a loss of power and a skip, I drove it when she got home and the damn thing would barely make it up the incline in the driveway. took it to the dealer that night and they found a bad relay in the console. Hard to believe that a $4.00 part would cause that much trouble.
Tunez

Dang, thanks for the input. That's what worries me about this deal. It could be something as simple as a relay like you had or worse. I just hate throwing a bunch of money at it because of the miles that's on the car. If it's the sensor I'll replace it, but I don't want to spend the 75-100 bucks on it and that not take care of my problem and then find out it's some inexpensive relay in an out of the way place
Thanks, Rick

I've only seen the P0340 code for two reasons:
The camshaft sensor has failed (most frequent), or the camshaft timing is out of synchronization.
The vehicle will run with a failed cam sensor, but you're likely to feel some hesitation and lack of power. It typically won't cause a misfire, though.
THANKS, Hyundaitech. I sure appreciate it. I think I'll go ahead and order the sensor. I had the timing belt replace about 20,000 miles ago so I'm fairly confident the cams are OK. Sure glad you're onboard here!
Thanks, Rick SGF, Mo.