Hyundai Genesis: Rear-wheel drive? What!?

Page 1 of 4
http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0705_hyundai_concept_genesis
- Thee Chicago Wolf

Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

I'll take it!
Matt

Last I checked, rear-wheel drive was dropped by all auto-makers because it is horribly inefficient and wastes much more gas. I'm not sure which market Hyundai is trying to please exactly: The Muscle-car crowd? (Yeah right, a HYUNDAI muscle car. Uh huh.), the can't-afford-a-Shelby-mid-life-crisis-but-damn-is-my-warranty-good crowd, or the to hell with fuel economy and gas prices I want to peel out.........in my HYUNDAI. I'll give it props on the looks but rear-wheel drive is a non-starter and a dumb idea.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

You are sadly misinformed. There is very little difference in efficiency between FWD and RWD, probably almost immeasurable. Where did you get that idea?
RWD is a great idea for a car oriented towards performance. FWD is a dumb idea for a performance car as you are asking two tires to provide traction for both acceleration and corning rather than balancing the forces between all four tires. That is why true performance cars such as BMW still use RWD.
Matt

Hey!! How did you get pictures of my next car?? :-)
Seriously, it looks awesome. Hyundai, the title to my Sonata is ready to be signed over for one of these. Let's go already :-P
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Well, I feel much the same, but I need to see the price tag first. I'm guessing 40 grand or better and I'm not sure I'll pony up that much for anything less than a Vette. Yes, I know a Vette is well over $40K, but it would be worth it!
Matt
Matt
From what I understand there will be two engine offerings for the Genesis - a 6 and an 8. The 6 is supposed to be under 30k not sure how that will compete with the Azera but works for me. Also if you are looking for a 07 Vette for only 43k http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&IDQ28376&photo=CV071YY07&loc G&mall&year 07&mk_code=CV
Matt Whiting wrote:

jp103 wrote:

http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&IDQ28376&photo=CV071YY07&loc G&mall&year 07&mk_code=CV
Thanks, but that isn't a REAL Vette. Only the Z06 counts for me! :-) If you find a Z06 new for $43K, please do let me know!!
Matt

I read someplace that it is supposed to be sub 40. They are going after Avalon and the cheap Caddy.

Agreed about the Vette. The article from the OP speculated that the MSRP for the V8 would be around $35k, and around $30k for the V6.
Eric
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

So now Hyundai is going to join the ranks of manufacturers of overpowered gas-hogs? How utterly unimpressive!

Yeah, I guess the days of the cute, quirky value leader Hyundais are gone
Maybe their new motto should be "Hyundai, Just Another Car Company"
When is the Chinese stuff due to hit the US?
L.
Leonardo wrote:

Yes, it certainly looks that way! And all the people said "Amen!"
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

All of what people?
Brian Nystrom wrote:

The smart people.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Nice try, ain't gonna fly.

Next year from what my friend has told me. Funny thing though, I wonder if the very high gas mileage rating will carry over from China as well. Sure China makes Walmart and pretty much every other box-box filthy rich, but I wonder what they cars will be like. Probably fall apart after a couple days.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

Wow, that is one of the most short sighted statements I've read in a long time. Since this is a Hyundai group, can I assume you drive a Hyundai? Do you recall the same thing being said (truthfully, I might add) about Hyundai in 1986? The first generation of Hyundai was crap. The Chinese are very capable of making a good product along with some of the junk we ask for. It will be interesting to see what shows up.

Yes, I have an 02 Sonata. I am unaware of any first generation anything that went over perfectly. Well, perhaps maybe the iPod. I don't think it's short sighted as the early Hyundai's did have their share of problems but again, the operative word is early. 1986 is a long time ago. Care to take the same argument over to Saturns line of cars. They were (are?) riddled with problems in the early generations but the quality seems to have improved in the past few years. I rarely see any pre-2000 Hyundai's on the road and I presume it's because of their poor quality from the early generations. The Chinese have just started seeing if their vehicles would have a market over here but I wonder about the quality control there as compared to our standards. I think they have some hurdles ahead of them and would have to re-tool or be subject to the US quality standards before people would buy them. I'm rambling a bit but remember Fiat in the 80s? Yeah, who else does. Guess what I see on the streets of Chicago every once in a while now? Those micro compact Fiats. Like Hyundai's early mid-80's cars, I'm sure in 20 years, they've straightened out the quality issues. Same probably goes for the Fiats I see now. Cheers.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

I'm not making any agrument, you made a satement that Chinese cars will fall apart. Sure Saturn had problem, but every car make "used" to. They all have improved greatly and I expect the Chinese will be a few steps ahead of Hyundai, Saturn, Kia, Subaru, etc, when they finally do arrive.
> The Chinese have just

Right, that is why they have many US engineers guiding them. As well as engineers from other car makers of the world. If you take a careful look, China is capable of producing very high quality manufactured parts. They are building parts for GE jet engines as an example. If you want cheap junk, just write the specifications and they will do it. Want high quaity machined parts? They can do that to in increasing numbers every day. Some months ago I read the China has delayed introducing cars to the US because they want to be sure it is going to be good quality.
I'm rambling a bit but remember Fiat in the 80s? Yeah, who else

I also remember the Fiat 128 of the 70's and the Fiat tooling that was sold to make the Yugo in the 80's. IIRC, they were something like $2800 new.

I was hoping to have a Fiat as a rental when I was in Italy two weeks ago. They gave me a Smart ForFor instead. The Fiat is a good looking car these days and I suspect much more reliable than in the past. Even Peugeot has some good looking cars today, but I have no idea of reliability.