Power Steering Pump Cost

Elantra 05 needs a new power steering pump, 80k's and very slow leak. Repair shop say's pump cost is $400 from dealer and $200 labor. I've searched them online for above and below $100. Any input?

<Dan> wrote in message

Go to a salvage yard. You didn't search very hard online. Google immediately returns an ebay motors link for $69.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Power steering pumps are pretty easy to repair. it is probably just an 'O' ring that has split.
Mike Marlow wrote:

It also seems to me that $200 is WAY high for labor, considering that the pump it easily accessible. Replacing it shouldn't take more than an hour. Sounds like time to find another repair shop.
Also you can get some seal stuff at an auto store that you put in the pwr steering oil, worth a try and it is only a couple of bucks.
On 3/3/08 6:59 AM, in article 0DSyj.390$x93.361@trndny03, "Brian Nystrom"

Probably the worst advice to ever give. Miracle sealants seldom do much more than gunk up the systems they are used in. They aren't even good for an emergency repair since they are about guaranteed to cost you much more in final repairs. Best just to fix it right.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Given how new the car is, I agree...but I have to say that I'd fed PS fluid with stop leak to a car that I knew I wasn't going to keep much longer. The stuff only slowed the leak, but it didn't seem to gunk up anything......put 36000 more miles on the the car....all for probably 15 bucks in fluid.
On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:59:40 GMT, Brian Nystrom

An Hour and forty minutes is the figure I came up with.
Old_Timer
The pump is indeed expensive, but $200 does seem a little high for labor. If you want factory and new, you'll need to open your wallet for the parts.
Found a deal. Advanced Auto Supply, $114 for new pump and Midas Muffler Shop will do work for $130 including alignment.