Power steering pump!

My 99 Dakota 3.9 L power steering pump is leaking fluid from the front, can it be repaired or should i buy a new one, that here cost US$550. Any advice? Thanks in advance. CLT.

Reply to
CLT

Where at, a dealer???

-----------------

TheSnoMan

Yes a dealer here in my country, Chile! They charge me That much for the pump! Is that cheap for you?

CLT.

TheSnoMan wrote:

Reply to
CLT

EXPENSIVE!!! If it is leaking around the pully shaft it could be a bad seal or bearing. If the pump is quiet and fine otherwise I believe I woud try to get the seal replaced

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Thanks for your answer SnoMan, i am going to replace the bearing and seals, and see if goes ok!

CLT.

TheSnoMan wrote:

Reply to
CLT

Can you mail-order from the States? Summit Racing sells an AGR Superpump for $150.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Unfortunately part of that $550 might be an import tarriff. It doesn't make any sense. I doubt that Chile manufactures their own pumps, so what local industry is that tarriff protecting? Take Tom's advice.

John

Reply to
John

The problem with Dodge in Chile is that they are cosiderated luxurious trucks and cars, so the dealers charge wath ever they want. The new Dakota quadcab 4x4 slt cost here US$29.300.-

CLT.

John wrote:

Reply to
CLT

Can you post the web page from Summit Racing? Is that AGR superpump the same one that my 99 3.9l Dakota has o is something to be modificated? I mean is just to take the bad one out and put the AGR or some piping or anythig else must be repalced?

CLT.

Tom Lawrence wrote:

Reply to
CLT

You can cross-check the part# and application at

I can't speak first-hand for a V6 Dak, but I did swap out the pump on my '99 Ram with the AGR pump. You disconnect the hoses from the pump (while trying not to spill PS fluid all over the place), remove the belt, and unbolt the pump/bracket as an assembly. Once on the bench, you have to remove the pulley with a special puller (I wound up slightly modifying a tie-rod end puller, which worked fine), then unbolt the pump from the bracket, and remove the pump from the resevoir. Put the new pump in, bolt it back to the bracket, and re-install the pulley (again - a special tool exists, but you can make one from a 3/8"-16 bolt, nut, and a couple of washers). The important thing here is to get the pulley back in the EXACT spot, so that the serpentine belt tracks properly. I measured the gap between the pulley and bracket with a gauge block and feeler gauges, so I got it back within a few thousanths (within .015"-.025" is probably fine). Bolt the bracket back into place, hook the hoses back up, put the belt back on, fill the resevoir, and bleed the system - this involves running the engine for a little bit, with the front wheels off the ground, and cycling the steering back and forth to purge all the air out. Monitor the fluid level, and add fluid as necessary. If the fluid foams, shut the engine down and let it sit for a few minutes, then top off the resevoir and go back at it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Here's another link you might check out. Direct replacement for a bit over $171. HD

HoDad