Power Steering Pump Needs Replacement

My daughters 99 GS400 has a leak in the power steering pump. The Lexus dealer quoted $750 to replace.

I'll give a call later but out of curisoity, does anyone know off hand if this is something that a Toyota dealer can repair and if so, any guess if there's a significant difference in cost?

Generally speaking, is there anything that anyone has experienced that Toyota dealers *won't* repair on a Lexus?

Any real world experience in having a Toyota tech repair your Lexus?

Reply to
01dyna

A PS pump replacement is a relatively easy operation. Assuming that the part is purchased from a Lexus dealer, the difference in price between the Lexus dealer, Toyota dealer, and independent shop will be the difference in the retail labor rate. For example, if the Lexus dealer is $150/hour and if the flat rate time is 2 hours, then you would pay $300 in labor to replace the pump, plus the price of the pump. If the Toyota dealer is $100/hour, then you would pay $200 in labor, saving $100, and if the independent shop is $90/hour, then you would pay $180 in labor, saving $20 over the Toyota shop and $120 over the Lexus shop. If the independent shop uses aftermarket parts, then the cost may be even less, however, the quality of the aftermarket parts may or may not be as good as OEM. In my experience, aftermarket part quality is a toss of the dice so I prefer OEM in most cases.

The Lexus and Toyota dealer will have a clear warranty on parts and labor printed on the back of the customer copy of the repair order; independent shop warranties vary greatly.

Reply to
Ray O

thanks Ray. I know replacing a pump isn't all that difficult except I don't have the time nor the pulley puller that I'll need to get the pump replaced.

Also, it looks like the average price for a new (OEM) pump is in the ballpark of $350. Which means that $300 of the quoted price from the dealer was for labor. For a two hour job, that sounds like a LOT of money merely for labor.

I have a very good indy shop near me. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see how much they'll charge.

thanks Ray O.

Reply to
01dyna

You're welcome! If you decide to go to the independent shop, buy the OEM pump yourself and take it to the shop so you know what you got.

Also, if the pump is leaking on to the alternator, you want to replace it sooner rather than later before the alternator is damaged.

Reply to
Ray O

thanks! I'll do that. I'll post what I find out from the indy.

Reply to
01dyna