sg350 belly flap

My wife just took our sg350 for service because of a knocking sound. She was told that it was a belly flap and would cause no problem in the mechanics of the auto.
Does anyone know what a belly flap is?
I'm guessing it was an engine under cover that had been broken or was somehow not properly attached.
Just be glad it wasn't a belly flop. That couldn't possibly be good.