My VOLVO v40 took fire!!

I live in Italy.

In January my 13month old Volvo v40 (1.9D) took fire while it was regularly parked in a normal clean and asphalted street, at 10 in the morning, after a trip of only a few kms. The fire started form the engine area and, before it was estinguished by the firemen, had the time to destroy the whole front part of the car. There is virtually no chance that the fire was caused by external factors: there was no source of heat in the car's proximity and the time of the day and all the circumstances exclude that someone might have intentionally started the fire (this was also ruled out by the firemen themselves). No one ever put his hands into the car's engine from the day of purchase, except technicians form the authorized car dealership where I had bought it 13 months earlier and where the car was taken two months before the fire tooke place for the regular scheduled check-in.

The car was still covered by a guarantee, as confirmed by Volvo itself, but the company is telling me that they do not consider this fire to be caused by a defect of the car, even if they can't tell me what was the cause of it. Pictures of the burned car were sent by the dealership, where it was taken after the fire, to the italian branch "Volvo Italia". In any case they are offering me an extra 10% discount on the purchase of a new Volvo. I'll get some other money from the insurance.

I read on the internet, and this piece of news was later confirmed by Volvo itself, that there is going to be a worldwide recall of Volvo cars for a defect concerning the electric cables connecting the fan cooler of some models which "might cause a fire". I have a strong suspicion that this is what happended to my car. However, the model Volvo V40 (not sold in the US, someone told me) is not among those which are going to be recalled, and thus "Volvo Italia" keeps telling me that this means my problem was due to some other causes.

Is there anyone reading this newsgroup which was in a similar situation? I heard that the Swedish TV a couple of years ago had a program about "Volvo fires" in Sweden. On Volvo's website there is a a statement by Volvo about this, claiming that, as a percentage, Volvo cars (which are obviously very numerous in Sweden) are no more likely to take fires than other brands (actually less, according to them).

Whta is the normal attitude of Volvo worldwide about such a problem? I am talking about a a car still under guarantee. Is the position of the Italian branch "Volvo Italia" the standard position of Volvo?

They told me that the pictures of my car where seen also at some technical HQ in Sweden and "if there was the slightest suspicion of a technical malfunctioning they would have acted immediately".

What should I believe? Of course Volvo is counting on the fact the a legal action would be costly and lengthy, but in any case I would like to understand better what one should do in such a situation.

Thanks to all. Maurizio

Reply to
MSV

If you didn't have it fully insured, well, what can I say? In the US, your insurance would pay the loss, and they would go after Volvo should they feel it was their fault.

Why is the insurance only paying 'some' of the loss? (or are you expecting new car value for an car that is not new?)

In most courts, the burden of proof is on you to prove fault. I doubt you can show proof, at least it would be expensive and difficult. Your insurance company is who you should be working on, not Volvo.

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

Ok.....

So in North America there is a recall on the Volvo V40 for a gas leak at the fuel rail due to inadequate welding that may cause a fire....

The recall number is NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V424000

You can find it at this site:

Hope this helps.

Mike

MSV wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just a few days ago I received a letter from Volvo in Sweden, saying that the fan on my '01 S60 should be replaced without any additional cost (for me). They give the reason "under certain conditions it can over heat" and that can "lead to heat damage and functional failure". (Excuse me for my bad English translation...)

The replacement of my fan will not cost me anything in "real money" but I'll have to turn in my car for a day, causing me some lost time and the need to find some other transport for that day. (I haven't asked for a free rental car yet...)

Volvo claims this will be done on a number of cars of model S80, V70, V70XC and S60 produced during 1999 - 2001.

If this is connected to the problems described on the V40, I do not know. I just found the coincidence interesting...

Reply to
JohaN

It seems you are using Bilia in Helsinki area if you are not offered replacement car for the day, just require that for the time you need it on that day.

Simple as that. In Raisio you don't have to ask, it will be offered.

Timo JohaN kirjoitti viestissä:e_tbe.135659$ snipped-for-privacy@newsc.telia.net...

Reply to
Timo

Educate yourself and become an expert. Most car manufacturers use the same "engineering philosophy" in building their cars. Chances are the design and fans that failed on one model may even be the same part on another model. The manufacturer and engineers have an enormous incentive to deny your claims. They may even take a page from American politics and discredit and slander you personally. Though it may be significant to you, your car represents one in thousands to the manufacturer. The cost of admitting a design flaw is very costly. Decide what you want and make it clear. A ten percent discount sounds more like an insult, a "courtesy adjustment". Are you a crusader wanting restitution for everyone that ever bought a Volvo? Or just give me a new car and let me be happy. Remember Ford owns Volvo so do some research and determine if there has been any problems with Mazda 6 vehicles. I understand the Mazda 6 and V40 use the same platform. Bottom line there a people that work full time for less than what is at stake here. If there truly was a product problem that the reasonable person should not have expected you deserve restitution. I worked for a parts manufacturer and the first answer to any claim was NO. Don't expect them to roll over but they can do anything they want to make you go away. Haven't you heard of coming to an agreement for an undisclosed amount? So, here we are back to Decide what you want and make it clear! Gabe.

Mike Romain wrote:

Reply to
Curl