Unable to turn 'off' air conditioner?

Hi all,
I have a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. I bought it used, so not original owner. But I'm now noticing (maybe it's always done it but just never noticed) is you cannot turn 'off' the air conditioner. So what I mean
by this is there's the 0-4 knob, and then there's 2 rows of buttons - the top is A/C, Max AC, recurc, etc. The bottom row is face, feet and face, feet, etc. If I tun off the A/C (knob to 0), the bottom selection remains on, and there's air coming out of the selected vents - cold or hot depending on the cold / hot setting.
Is this normal?
Thanks.

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:17:44 AM UTC-4, Evan Platt wrote:

ss.
I'm not sure which button you're saying remains on; you'll need to tell me which one it is. But:
Typically, either the fresh air or the recirc indicator will stay on to ind icate the position of the fresh/recirc door at any given time. If fresh ai r is indicated, the air will come out of the vents when the car is moving d ue to the pressure of the outside air against the base of the windshield wh ere the air inlet is located. To stop this, switch to recirc, and that wil l block outside air.
On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 10:08:26 -0700 (PDT), hyundaitech
Any of the bottom buttons - ie the face button or face / feet button.

Hmm.. I'll try that. But air comes out even when sitting still :)

On Friday, September 5, 2014 9:30:09 AM UTC-4, Evan Platt wrote:

Well, that's odd unless it's *very* windy. Maybe the fan is still running.
The blower switch provides ground to both the fan and the relay for the pow er side of the fan. So the only thing I can see that would be a single pro blem that would make the fan continue running would be a shorted blower swi tch. Maybe try wiggling the blower knob side to side, up and down, in and out, etc. to see if there's a change.
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 09:27:57 -0700 (PDT), hyundaitech

Ok - I take that back - air isn't coming out (at least noticable air) when I'm not moving... but I find it odd it's either cool or hot air regardless of outside temperature, and it's dependant on whether the control is on cool or hot?

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:30:20 AM UTC-4, Evan Platt wrote:

ss.
Sounds normal then. The temperature control knob adjusts the position of d oors within the heater box to regulate the amount of air passing over the h eater core. Hence, adjusting this knob will adjust the vent temp even if o nly the smallest amount of air is flowing.
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 4:17:44 AM UTC-10, Evan Platt wrote:

Try pushing on the button marked "AC."

The A/C button switches off when I switch the knob to 0, and it becomes inactive (I can't turn it on or off).

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 05:29:19 -0700, Evan Platt

You mean the fan speed "knob"? If so, you are shutting the fan and that *should* shut the A/C off.
Evan Platt wrote:

Have you read your owner's manual so you know how the system is supposed to work? I am guessing not by your comment above.

Used car. Didn't come with an owners manual.
I googled and found one online. I'll read through the section on air conditioning.

Evan Platt wrote:

It is always annoying when people don't keep the owners manual and provide it when they sell a car. I am glad you found one. Knowing how the system is supposed to work is the first step to knowing whether it is working correctly or malfunctioning.
Good luck!
Evan Platt wrote:

Is the compressor running when the a/c switches are off?. Maybe the clutch is stuck. It's pretty easy to tell.