2001 Rodeo fuel capacity.

Anyone had any luck getting more then maybe 14 gallons of fuel into a 2001 Rodeo?
I've had mine since new and even when I thought it MUST be about to
run out of fuel, it only took about 14 gallons to fill. Another fun problem is that the fuel gauge has started to rise and fall on a whim. I can fill up and the low fuel light is out...then it will start to blink and the gauge drops to empty, then back to rull. I've not had a chance to get it to an Isuzu dealer and use the odomoeter, not willing to go more then 280 miles between fill ups (only gets about 20 mpg) I did manage to get more then 14 gallons in lately...actually took 18.5. I called the costco and told the supervisor that he needed to get the pump calibrated because my literature shows the tank should only take 16 gallons.
I have a '99 Amigo with a 17 gallon tank. My gas guage is also pretty inaccurate, but at least it shows full after a fill up. Anyway, for kicks I carried around 2.5 gallon can until I ran out, put all of it in and drove to the nearest station where I put in 17-2.5+the little I should have burned to get to the station.

I also have an '01 Rodeo (Sport), V6 4x4. The fix to the problem = bad fuel sending unit. The dealer charged me around 260 bucks and was done in about 2.5 hours. The item is right by the fuel pump inside of the gas tank, and I wasn't about to pull that off, so I went to the dealer.
Cured the problem...hope that helps.
Carlos

My 99 has a 17.7 gallon tank. It usually takes 16 or so when I fill up. Andy 99 Amigo V6