2001 Rodeo LS Transmission Elelectrical Short Check Engine Gas Gauge Problems

Hi gang,
My wife has the car noted above and sge says her gas gauge says the tank is empty even when there's gas in it, That problem comes and goes. The check engine light is also lighting up, stay on for a while,
then go off by itself.
Also, the transmission shifts hard into 2nd gear like it's slipping; bangs hard from 1st gear to 2nd gear.
I also noticed little black grease spots coming from the center of the vehicle I haven't yet crawled under the car to see what exactly is leaking, but it seems too thick to be oil.
I plan to go to the auto parts store to have the codes decyphered, but thought I'd ask the wise Isuzu mechanics on the board for some advice.
It is rainy season and I'm thinking all the problems above are the result from a short caused by moisture or some other short causing thing. The Rodeo is a 4x4, has about 65k miles, automatic transmission, and is driven gently. My inclination is to take it to the dealer since they know their own cars better than anyone, but if all these problems can be fixed easily, then I'd liek to save the time and money.
GB,
Rust
Funny you mention this. My '01 Rodeo Sport has the following:
1. When the gas gauge is at or just below 1/4 of a tank, it drops all the way to empty, Check Engine light comes on, and the gas light flashes. I put gas is it and it goes away until, of course, the gas gauge quickly goes back to 1/4 of a tank after a few days of driving. I brought it to the dealer, its a 250 dollar fix with a 40 dollar part, answer, its the Fuel Sending Unit. You can either do it yourself of pay the dealer to get it replaced. Fixed the problem.
2. The hard shifting has only happened once. It really ticked me off that something else was going on while troubleshooting the gas gauge problem. I pulled over, turned off the car, and magically went away. It hasn't happened again. Your guess is as good as mine, hopefully we can find a solution.
My Isuzu specs: 3.2L V6 4WD Hard Top Automatic 86k well earned miles
Carlos
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; Hi gang,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; My wife has the car noted above and sge says her gas gauge says the<BR>&gt; tank is empty even when there's gas in it,&nbsp; That problem comes and<BR>&gt; goes.&nbsp; The check engine light is also lighting up, stay on for a while,<BR>&gt; then go off by itself.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Also, the transmission shifts hard into 2nd gear like it's slipping;<BR>&gt; bangs hard from 1st gear to 2nd gear.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I also noticed little black grease spots coming from the center of the<BR>&gt; vehicle&nbsp; I haven't yet crawled under the car to see what exactly is<BR>&gt; leaking, but it seems too thick to be oil.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I plan to go to the auto parts store to have the codes decyphered, but<BR>&gt; thought I'd ask the wise Isuzu mechanics on the board for some advice.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It is rainy season and I'm thinking all the problems above are the<BR>&gt; result from a short caused by moisture or some other short causing<BR>&gt; thing.&nbsp; The Rodeo is a 4x4, has about 65k miles, automatic<BR>&gt; transmission, and is driven gently.&nbsp; My inclination is to take it to<BR>&gt; the dealer since they know their own cars better than anyone, but if<BR>&gt; all these problems can be fixed easily, then I'd liek to save the time<BR>&gt; and money.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; GB,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Rust<BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=