2001 Rodeo--Starting Problems

Hi! Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, but I want to pick everybody's brains about this.

I recently purchased a 2001 Rodeo V-6 Automatic 49k miles on it, and whenever I start it for the 1st time in a day it wants to die. If I step on the gas a couple times, it revs up to about 2000-3000rpm then settles down a little over 1000 at idle and then it's fine for the rest of the day. The fuel filter was just replaced and it hasn't made a difference. I'm wondering if anybody out there has had a similar experience if you could give me other ideas as to what it could be? I would like to have some clue about what I'm talking about when I take it in to the shop and try and avoid getting taken advantage of! Thank you!

Reply to
nikiq13

I have the same problem with my Rodeo....am about to change the filter as well. But apparently that's not the problem.

Reply to
Buhda

My 2000 Trooper did this to some extent. I noticed that when I parked outside overnight, instead of in the garage the idle is erratic for the first 30 seconds. Have you changed brands of gas? My SUV is very particular as to the brand of gas that I use. It idles (when cold) like crap if I use Citgo. I always have used 87 octane.

David

Reply to
David

Also run out to auto zone and get your battery checked. Mine was apparently bad....showing only 10 volts when car not running...car running shows 13 volts. I replaced mine and the problem "seems" to have gone away.

Reply to
Buhda

Yeah...the gas doesn't seem to matter. The outside temp doesn't matter (just as long as there's about 10 hours between driving it). I also just had the fuel injectors cleaned yesterday, and it's still doing it, but they said to give it a couple days. I'm really afraid after everything I've read it might be a compression problem. I'll definitely check the battery though! Thanks!

Reply to
nikiq13

Does anybody else has seen this problem.

My Rodeo has about 75k miles and started experiencing the same problem, I'm at lost. I may have to spend the money on diagnosing the problem. None of these resolutions have worked so far.

Carlos

Reply to
AMBER OLSEN

Someone recommended to replace the fuel pressure regulator, any thoughts?

Reply to
AMBER OLSEN

The problem is the intake Gasket, When cold it leaks and confuses th computer, when the engine warms ,and the computer is not asking for and much fuel the engine will run just ok...Mine got worst, and i replaced both gaskets, not really a bad job. part where around 60 bucks..To conferm this get a can of gumout spray and lightly spry around the base oof the intkae manaflow. your idle should not increase , if it does you have a leak

AMBER OLSEN wrote:

Reply to
dave