HELP 88 Trooper won't start / dead

Cheers,
Took my 88 Trooper, 4 cylinder, out to get some gas the other day. When I shut it off at the gas station. Wouldn't start. No horn, lights, etc. Tried to jump it with 'portable power' ( which I have
used in the past without any problems), still would not start. I had to have it towed home. Put it on a battery charger... still no lights, horn and it won't start. Battery is about 6 months old. Battery cables / connections are tight & clean. Battery cables seem OK.
Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
"dead" in NJ
datadr77 wrote:

1st put a volt meter at the battery terminals and verify power. Then measure between chassis ground and the battery positive terminal. If that fails I'd check for a bad ground strap or the main fusable link.