Micra won't start

Went to start a Micra 1.0 K11 (yes the toy car :-) ) last evening - it wouldn't fire the engine at all. The fuel was indicating pretty low so I thought it might simply run out of fuel - topped it up with 10litres. Still no joy. Removed the fuel filter output pipe and fuel spirted out - not really a lot of pressure there though. I can hear the fuel pump start up when I first turn on the ignition - after a few seconds the sound stops.

I've removed the fuse/relay covers and all fueses look ok. Don't know about the relays. There is one marked CVT CONT - I've no idea what CVT stands for? There is also a relay marked ENGINE CONT. That sounds pretty important so am just about to try taking it out and testing it - I just hope there is a pinout connection diagram somewhere!

I'd the ignition coil - if I could find it! Help! Where does it live?

Well that's all I can think of to try - if someone has some advice as what to do next if this lot fails I'd appreciate hearing about it. Normally the car starts immediately on cranking - but now it won't even fire at all.

tia

ps Is there a good workshop manual available for this car? Haynes is ok but...

Reply to
dave

This engine seems prone to flooding - or at least our one is. If the car has been started and moved a few yards then stopped, or the accelerator pedal touched while trying to start it then it could well be flooded.

Normal procedure is to try prolonged cranking with the accelerator pedal *fully* depressed. You can also try removing the fuel pump fuse/relay and cranking for a while to get the excess fuel out of the engine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

The car didn't start at all (first time it's ever failed). As gauge was almost on zero so I thought out of fuel. I did however (and probably stupidly) pump the accel too much during much cranking effort.

It's been standing overnight - hopfully excess fuel may have evaporated - am just about to try again - will try your suggestion.

Ah good idea - thanks.

Reply to
dave

Just to follow-up my own reply...

In Haynes it has a simple proceedure for testing the ECCS to get fault codes. Tried it - no sign of any codes flashing on "instrument panel engine check light". Maybe not all models have one? The diagnostic connector is there though.

Reply to
dave

On our micra there's no engine check light, but you read the codes by looking at the led that's in the end of the ECU.. under the centre console, It's a pain to figure out where it is at first, but once you know it's easy, quite easily see'able when your bend down shorting out the relevent pins on the diagnostic socket.

The coil on these engines is on the side of the dizzy, if you've ever changed the dizzy cap you'll have noticed there's a conductor in there that routes current from a pin to one side of the dizzy to the center pin for the dizzy arm.

We've had the problem you describe a few times.. last had it about 3 years ago mind,

It is the engine flooding, foot to the floor with the accelerator pedal, keep it there, and win d the engine over untill it starts, pulling the fuel pump fuse of course makes this process a little faster,

Once the engine is running, it'll not do that fault again for a while, if at all, I've never got any fault codes to show even when i got the codes up when the engine was refusing to start,

it was acting like it was stuck in cold start mode, and the engine didn't need that much fuel to start from cold, but it always happened when i wanted to go somewhere in the car, so didn't have time to faff about figuring the fault out, just got it running and off i went

Reply to
Hairy Arse

[..]

Did that - engine started, replaced fuse, car is fine. Brillo advice - many thanks.

Reply to
dave

This happens to my mum's Micra every now and then, if you touch the pedal even slightly depressed it floods the engine. We tried the flood-clear procedure but it never worked, eventually I read about the fuel pump fuse on a forum (while they trying to start it!) and it worked a treat - fired up in a second, we pushed the fuse back in with it running. I might even hook a bit of wire onto the fuse to make it easier to pull should she be on her own.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.