Is this cost reasonable??

My wifes 96 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2 v6 had a severe leak I brought it to a local garage to replace the rear main seal. Cost $500. On the reciept the mechanic stated oil was observed on the drivers side of the motor and said it very well could be a head gasket which would cost $1500.00 to repair this in my opinon seems a little excessive. I cleaned the undercarriage and after a couple of days I noticed overnite a spot the size a quarter of oil on the floor seep seems from the passanger side not drivers side. I asked about a compression test and he said it would not show anything in this case because if it is a head gasket leak its not affecting the combustion chamber.

Isn't 1500 a little high to change the problem head gasket??

Reply to
Badmuther #1

"Badmuther #1" scribbled some garbage about a problem in news: snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net: and Dman answered with his usually drivel in the following manner!

Yes if in fact it is just the head gasket...I had the heads remanned and new gasket complete for 1350.00 usd. The reman on the heads was 450.00 of the cost...also in the 1350.00 was replacement of all the fluids etc....

Reply to
DMan

I doubt they told you they know. I had a oil leak on my 93 trooper, which is also a 3.2L v6. The mechanic quoted my about $500 for new valve cover gasket. They worked on it twic, and so far I did not see a lot oil drips on the ground.

I talked with them about the possibility of oil leaking from the rear main seal. They said to fix it, they need to remove the transmission from it's location to reach the seal. It cost around $1500.

Reply to
PC Player

I had our 94 in somewhere for a good looking over and was told the valve cover gasket was leaking and should be replaced...and of course he was ready for me to schedule it to get done... :-) I held off, and a few months later I had it somwhere else for its inspection and I had them take a look at it. They said it was leaking, but wasn't enough to warrant the expensive repair bill. So, we just add oil from time to time...though I don't think it's much more than what the engine is just burning off on its own (as the

3.2's are notorious for).

Speaking of which, what's everyone's experience with oil usagine in the

3.5's? Our 2002 hadn't used a drop of oil that I could tell until the last trip we took it on a month ago and it appears to have used some oil. I think it's at just over 11,000 miles at the moment... :-)

And while I'm rambling on other random topics - what's the general concensus about switching to synthetic? And at what point should I change it over if I'm going to?

Thanks,

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

And the quote for $1500 is for only the drivers side head gasket and install.

Reply to
Badmuther #1

Lousy. My 1998, 120K miles burns quart every 500 miles or so. I've tried:

  • engine flush (repeatedly)
  • oil additives supposed to rejuvenate seals
  • oil additives supposed to stop smoke, reduce oil consumption etc etc
  • piston rings cleaner (the one you spray into cylinders and leave overnight)
  • switch to 10W-40 semisynth
  • switch to 15W-40 semisynth
  • new seal on oil filler cap

Nothing has had any effect whatsoever. There is no smoke coming out even under heavy acceleration (as seen by friend driving behind), and engine runs just fine in every other way. I've learned to live with it, in fact I'm considering skipping oil changes completely (except for oil filter change). Especially considering the fact I'm running on LPG, it's supposed to allow for longer oil change intervals anyway.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

My 3.5 uses 1/2 qt between changes, it always has. (01 with 64 thou on it)

Reply to
Bernie

'01 with 39k has never used the first drop of oil. I change it every 3000 and use only dino (no synth).

Reply to
Dave

My Harley never uses oil neither and its synthetic..........whats the point and how does it relate to my original post ? Sorry if I sound harsh but your post don't help with my problem.

Reply to
Badmuther #1