Trooper 3.1TD Engine Heater

Page 3 of 6
I agree they do use pump injectors, however only the Isuzu ones rely on oil not the land rover or VW ones as your original statement claimed.
Is that accurate enough for you !

on oil

Yes. I know it and you know it and you know that I know it. Now everyone knows it.
Huw
OK Lads we all it ?? Not sure wot though Spoke to me Techie mate this am, who insits that he remains anonemouse. But also insists that I keep my hands firmly cuffed, If I have any inclination towards buying a 3.0 ltr
Ploggo ps Huw Yes It was a good game one of those where you actually feel for the losing side, even more so given the turf from whence they came aaah crib goch the pyg track etc

Jesus anyone want a new pc with win xp pro & ie6 ready loaded i'm a goin back to 98 Previous should read OK Lads we all Know It ??

Strange, isn't it? I have the same feelings about win xp that you have for the 3.0 diesel. :-)
--
Howard Neil

Nice One!!! H Good to have a chuckle after a shite day Ploggo

3 ltr

would
8 years

30 +k of

against them

front line

This is not new news. It is common knowledge and has been for several years now. These engines are way below average in reliability.

Since I do not believe a diesel version is available in the USA and that US SUV's don't sell squit in Europe then it is hardly relevant.
Huw

the 3.0TD is available in the US, it and the C223 2.2D engine are the only Diesels offered over there. and the 2.2L is pretty anaemic.
rhys

the
point I

7or
drive
been
several
and
relevant.
the only

Nice to see a Welsh spelt name from America. Well blow me down with a feather! Does it sell in any quantity? Is it the same 160hp [approximately] direct injection diesel as we have here? Since it [allegedly] barely passes emission soot tests here, how is it allowed to be sold in The USA where your fuel has higher sulphur levels and where soot emission is therefore higher?
Huw

Nah, I'm no Yank, I'm from the Colonies, New Zealand to be precise, Note I call it over THERE, lol. As to sales I don't know, but on another forum There have been comments by Yanks about the 3.0TD engines they own. I've no Idea about how they pass emmissions. But I gather that the 3.0TD is more reliable than the 2.8L V6 petrol.
The yanks hate diesels, I wonder how long it is before offroaders begin to reailse how useful the torque of a good diesel is when offroad, most of their SUVs have some form of large V8 petrol.
Supermarket Warriors!
rhys

hailed
when
failure
I'm not disputing what you say but, up to press, I've only heard rumour & nothing definite. Is there anything public about it (on the web) that you can point me towards?
I don't really think that engine warranty claims are what killed the Trooper. Fundamentally, even though its a great vehicle, it has fallen behind its main competitors. For a few years now, every magazine roadtest has concluded that it is worthy but boring.

I wouldn't try to - at least not unless you were planning on buying a LR Discovery. :-)
Cheers Andrew Kay
Try a google also 4x4web.com has a thread typical of the failure that the engine is prone to don`t get me wrong im a huge fan of the Trooper, I dont run the Trooper to pose at a ton plus in lane 3 I run it for rugged reliability day in day out regularly pulling a trailer carrying 2 tons plus. I tell you what it lacks in speed it makes up for in sheer grunt, touch wood had 3 now without any problems prior to that had both the Cherokee & Grand C both super vehicles but costly & at times unreliable Im sorry to see the end of the trooper & yes the warranty issue played a major part in the demise of that part of Isuzu Anyone who drives a Trooper has to OK in my book & therefore the the last thing I want to do is argue with Trooper owners but the facts are undeniable that is that the revolutionary 3.0 Ltr is prone to Major failures which is unique to that engine And finally noway would I even contemplate a Disco Ploggo

but
down
roadtest

Boring is not important for off-roaders, reliability is. I mean whats missing, a compass? - a GPS screen? Leather fittings? I also doubt the lack of engine reliability in the 3.0L diesel.
--
madiba

Don't take it that I agree with that notion. I'm glad I bought mine - and think its great.
If it wasn't still virtually as new (but 4 years and 65K miles on), I'd buy a new one from my local Isuzu dealer. They have a LWB CItation 3.0D at an asking price of 21,600 (very tempted).
Cheers Andrew

That was my point too, I don't need the fluff. Best vehicle I ever bought.

Same here, -oh and I'd also need LHD and a sunroof.. :-/
--
madiba

Exactly dual batts mainly to power ceramic heater certainly here in uk according to Isuzu GB Remote starting that sounds difficult would need a fair amount of control eg timed sol for pre heat additional circuitry to disconnect starter when engine reached certain speed sounds more akin to auto start standby generators Ploggo
wrote

anything

it
Thankx.
Cheers Andrew
Some interesting info from you guys. Our Trooper the 3.1TD has a funny solenoid thing on the exhaust system. But the owners manual claims the switch on top of the transmission tunnel is for a Ceramic Engine heater. How do I check the operation of the bizare exhaust thingy. Our trooper has always seemed a little slow, it pulls like a train but slowly. We managed to pull a caravan with flat tyres for about 5 miles. I still want to find the ceramic heater, from what some of you are saying it is in the sump. If this the case then do you know where the wiring is for it? This car also has two huge 12V batteries.
Dave

the
heat
Read earlier post the switch you refer to operates a solenoid which closes a valve (butterfly) in the exhaust restricting gas flow thereby reducing time for engine to reach temp However due to its design/ location it is prone to sticking shut when this happens & the engine is hot it has the effect of reducing power output ( Some Large truck engines use a similar device to enhance braking its Known as an exhaust brake the effect is impressive) anyway when it does stick you`ll be going nowhere in a hurry in fact the first time it happened to me towing at the time over 2 tons I was at a loss, AA turned up diagnosed blown turbo ordered breakdown vehicle to come & collect I was not at all convinced about turbo cause when they Go they let you know about it any way truck turns up after 2 hours Trooper is relatively cold, start engine & guess what everthings fine valve had opened by itself as it had cooled down.Duly spoke to Isuzu Technician advised to disconnect switch tape up wires and forget it since then have followed this advice with all of my Troopers & they always start & have never let me down even after some pretty cold nites up North. One final comment there is NO ceramic heater fitted to sump Ploggo

Question is why does the owners manual say the switch is for a ceramic engine heater? The other question is it obvious from the outside if the exhaust solenoid valve thingy is stuck or in the wrong place? Dave

in