dead 1996 Trooper

had a problem earlier today with our trooper. my wife reported that it would not start but that all the lights - radio and windows were working fine w/ the key in the on position. I went and checked it out after work and sure enough everything seemed fine except no ignition - no sounds even - just dead. I cleaned the battery terminals and tried it again and still dead. so we had it towed to the local garage and there I turned the key one more time and guess what - yes - it started!

Interesting fact that might have something to do with this: a few months ago the key was stuck in the ignition just before you are able to retrieve it so we drove around for a few weeks leaving the key in place until we were ready for service. until one time it came out - we have been using the spare key since. when the trooper was on the flat bed the key once again got stuck, but came out at the garage??!!

anyone have any ideas? should I phone cartalk this weekend?

Reply to
sean

We had the same problem on our '96 a while back. After a new battery, etc. it turned out to be a bad starter.

Reply to
Mike W

I was with my parents the day the starter went out in their 93...acted just like a battery going dead...except that a jump wouldn't get it going. Same thing with our 94, except that it went out slowly enough I was convinced it was just the battery...I still wonder if it really needed a new battery... :-) But, if it's completely dead and sometimes starts just fine, I'd guess it's another problem.

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Defiantly look into the starter. There's a ground cable that could be corroded or bad. This would cause an intermittent starting problem.

True story. I had the same type of problem. My shop replaced the starter. I picked up the truck and drove it home. Parked in front of the house, turned it off and then tried to restart it. You guessed it... NOTHING. Called the shop, they towed it back and wound up replacing the ground cable. FOC.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.