04 Liberty Sport NO Start and dull clicking noise

Last week I came home from work cause my wife's Liberty didn't start. I didn't listen to it then cause I had to get back to work and it started right off the jump.

Today it wouldn't start and I couldn't get it jumped like I did before.

It makes a fairly rapid clicking sound when turned over. All the interior dials light on there own.

So is it a starter? Any help is most appreciated

Thanks

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Starter for sure or battery is gone if the word "jump" means you used jumper cables to get it started before.

Reply to
ULB

I'd start by having the local Canadian Tire or Pep Boys make sure the battery is good. It's possible to light the gauges but not have enough juice to run the starter.

Reply to
DougW

Is there any reason I couldn't take my battery and drop it in her car. I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport. If the Liberty starts than...It's most likely the battery ?

Thanks for the very prompt help

Sam

Reply to
Sam

No reason at all, unless the Liberty uses a non-standard physical size or different mounts than yours.

Batteries are batteries, although I prefer the higher capacity and CCA ones. Generally from PepBoys or similar U.S. wide chain. Last batter I got was from PepBoys (Bosch brand) and has a 96 month (8 year) warranty. Usually that means I get my next battery for about half price, which isn't too bad.

FWIW, Bosch doesn't actually make batteries. From what I understand they are rebranded Interstate units.

Reply to
DougW

OK Thanks. In the AM I will do a switch.

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Be careful that plus and minus are the same on both batteries--don't hook it up backwards!

Reply to
PeterD

Be careful that plus and minus are the same on both batteries--don't hook it up backwards!

Reply to
Kate

The Liberty started up today of the jump from my Cherokee. WooHoo.

I guess it's the battery though something more maybe involved. I bought a new battery (Exide) and will install tomorrow and see how it goes. If it dies then it's to the shop.

Thanks Again for all the helpful and kind replies !

Sam

My one off road adventure. The wife walked across but the daughters stuck with Pa

Sam

I had a similar problem with a '95 GCL - turn key, rapid clicking, no code indicators; the problem turned out to be the starter. Wife called, Jeep wouldn't start, raining, went and fiddled with every cable possible. The battery was new & heavy duty so I didn't bother swapping. Checked all the fuses, wacked the starter with a hammer, no joy. Wiggled wires more, and the darn thing started. Ran find for a few weeks, son borrowed the car on a nice sunny, dry day. Comes out of the shopping mall, car won't start - dead as a doornail. Call the insurance company for a tow home; they also try jumping - no joy. Get the car home, check the usual suspects, no-joy.

Finally ended up just going and getting a new starter & all was well again. Well, until the radiator started leaking - replaced that & thought all was well again, but afterwards the 6 mo old thermostat blew apart (see my 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 2WD underheating? thread).

Anyway, I'd recommend pulling the starter and go have it tested.

Reply to
NoOp

Be aware that dirty cable connections cut down on the power the alternator can put into the battery making it go dead.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail >
Reply to
Mike Romain

Replace the battery. I had all sorts of strange things happen when the battery went "flat" in out KJ. Even though the little "eye" in the battery was green and said that it was still "OK" and a multi meter indicated that the battery was good. (Not to mention the after market volt meter said the same thing. Our Liberty would only start once charged up with a the JK sitting with the ignition off and charging via a boost from another vehicle. I grabbed an Optima battery from my hobby car and installed it in the KJ and the truck started up first time with no problems!

I ended replacing the stock battery with a new Optima Red top after taking it to the local dealership to have the alternator (And everything else checked out- for free I'll add!) and have never had any problems with starting 'er up any more!

I have spoken to many Kj owners about this problem and they have all told me the same thing. Replace the battery.

Have a nice day.

Ry'

Reply to
Socks