93 Cherokee Front axle whine

A friend has a 93 Cherokee with a whiny front axle (whine is at almost any speed, he says it gets worse at different speeds). He's bringing it over tomorrow for me to try and diagnose.

Any foresight from anyone appreciated, he wants to replace the whole axle, but I'm sure we can get off cheaper than that.

Reply to
Gene Young

L.W.(ßill)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, L.W. (ßill) Hughes III from was injured because:

| A noise being describe as a "whiny" I would think wheel | bearing before the rhythmic, vibrating, clicking noise of axle | or driveshaft universal joints. Whiny could be used to | describe a bad differential ring and pinion if it were engaged | under power or dry. Let us know. God Bless America, | ßill O|||||||O | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

| | Gene Young wrote: || || A friend has a 93 Cherokee with a whiny front axle (whine is || at almost any speed, he says it gets worse at different || speeds). He's bringing it over tomorrow for me to try and || diagnose. || || Any foresight from anyone appreciated, he wants to replace || the whole axle, but I'm sure we can get off cheaper than that. || || -- || Gene N9MXQ ||
|| Jeep, because life is an adventure, not a race. Hell, if you were to say it was 2WD, I would be inclined to say it was normal, my girl's XJ front axle (2WD, yes...I know) has always (Purchased with 2 miles on it) had a whine, or more appropriately, a howl.

Reply to
Joseph P

injured

of

(whine

and

than

whine,

Reply to
Thor

axels don't whine! just u joints,which usually click if they are very bad, bearings which usually get worse when turning, and ring and/or pinions. usually have a rythmic sound.

find out which and just fix it. john

Reply to
johnny