Grand Cherokee Front Axle/Brake Problem

Hi,

My uncle pulled up on the drive today in his Grand Cherokee which had felt sluggish on the way home. On exiting the vehicle you could phtsiaclly feel the heat coming off of the front wheels, in fact he reckons thay may actual have been smoking.

we plan on looking at it on the weekend, I think it is probably the brakes rubbing or binding, although I am not sure why they should suddenly play up. If anyone could give me some pointers for areas to check or things to look out for I would be grateful.

Also if anyone can think of anything else on the front axle that could cause a similar effect please let me know.

Cheers Nick

Reply to
Nick

SEVERLY trashed hub/bearing assembly? Unlikely though, you'd hear it and feel the vibes before you felt the heat. I'd bet on brakes.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I take it the whole piston is plastic so if I remove the brake pads from the caliper to expose the end of the piston it will be fairly obvious whether they are steel or plastic.

Cheers Nick

Reply to
Nick

Reply to