Anyone up on 99 Chevy 4.0L Vortec engines?

We are putting it into a 68 Jeepster with a T-400 trans, with all MPI systems. I intend to install an O2 sensor simulator to replace the 3rd O2 sensor, after the Cat that won't be there. Will I encounter any problems by not having a transmission speed sensor? Isn't that just for speedo signal and cruise control? Any tips on a better oil pan? the stock AstroVan uses a cast deep-well that is short at the deep end, but too deep. We would be better off with a steel rectangular pan like the earlier models, but bolt patterns are different. Any steel pan that fits can be modified, but the dealer is no help on crossing pan gaskets to other pans.

Reply to
Paul Calman

L.W.(ßill)

Oops, it's a 4.3 L engine. The engine has one O2 sensor in each manifold (headers now) and a third after the cat. This one needs to be fooled as there will be no cat to read from. I would'nt consider not using the first 2, that would make as much sense as putting a carb on it.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Paul Calman did pass the time by typing:

Google ye for "o2 sensor simulator"

Easy enough to make one, it's just a voltage regulator circuit.

Reply to
DougW

That costs as much as a sensor! I made a regulator for my Goldwing's instruments, i guess I can do one for this lower voltage.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Paul Calman did pass the time by typing:

Yep. But that example was on a ricer page and they tend to pay out the arse for the oddest things like those annoying fartpipes. :)

Google is your friend. :)

Reply to
DougW

There's nothing wrong with carbs, if properly setup and maintained. In this case, the engine came with an MPI system, and we are going to use it. Andy will be driving this rig at least 80% on the street.

Reply to
Paul Calman

let me add to that. If properly set up for where you are. A day trip here can take me from 3500ft to 11,000 ft, down to 2000 and back over. A Holley needs re-jetting for what, every 2000 ft of change? This FI system has a barometric pressure sensor that will compensate.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)