99 JGC Laredo 4.0L Radiator fan ? ? ?

Hoping a JGC guru can help. My radiator fan stopped today. Engine heated up but cooled right back down when I got out of traffic and moving.

Searched for the fuse for the radiator fan when I got home and found none. Did find the relay for the radiator fan under the hood and swapped the 40 with the ABS pump and still no fan .... bad fan motor or am I missing another fuse ????

Appreciate any help all.

TIA

erthmun

Reply to
erthmun

Simple electric fan test is to jumper it directly to the battery, this will tell you if the fan is good or not and at least help you start looking in the correct direction.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

erthmun proclaimed:

CAUTION: Info from an older GC. YMMV.

The GC uses a viscous fan, not at all electric.

Sudden failure of the viscous clutch is fairly rare, you should have noticed oily silicon fluid stains around the bearing assembly of the fan. If someone has played with that viscous clutch and layed it down flat, the silicon fluid will leak and can damage the bearing...not to mention it won't engage too well any more.

At the front of the fan assembly is a bimetal spring like that in a thermostat. It can fail, and if it does, the fan won't engage as engine speed rises. [if the engine temp stays cold, the fan will never engage, e.g. a stuck open thermostat in really really cold weather].

You could have a really loose serpentine and a siezed bearing but I would expect that to squeal like everything.

Grab your fan and give it a good spin by hand while the engine is cool. If it keeps spinning 5 turns or so, the viscous clutch has bit the big one and will need to be replaced.

With the engine in the 190 or so range [well warmed up] turn the engine off and the fan shouldn't spin too freely if at all.

Kind of a PITA to replace, but you can leave the back end on there, so the serpentine doesn't have to be messed with.

Reply to
Lon

Well, after some brain busting I raised the white flag ...... Would have been a lot easier if I had had a schematic of the electrical system.

Took the JGC to the dealership and explained the problem. Techie ran diagnostic, and found that no power getting to the fan motor.

Techie checked schematic. ANOTHER relay in a PITA place behind the front bumper was the culprit. Had to remove bumper to get to it. Relay - expensive, labor - even more expensive, total about $200 and not covered by my 8 year, 80K mile bumper to bumper waranty........ so it goes .....

erthmun

erthmun wrote:

Reply to
erthmun