Help!: Engine Wiring Harness '93 YJ

Greetings. The starter in my 1993 YJ (4.0, auto, non-ABS) suddenly started running by itself last Friday while I was driving on the freeway, causing my engine to stall. As soon as I pulled over, I opened the hood, and fumbled in the rain to remove both positive connections to my dual Optimas, since the ignition key would not shut off the starter. Before I could get the last positive off and stop the starter motor whining, the motor spun down and then smoked. Once at the dealership, after a tow, it was found that my starter ate my flexplate, and that the starter cooked, and took out (melted) the fuse terminal on the engine harness on top of the right wheel well (under the hood). Since the DC system dropped the harness from the parts system in 2002, I can't get a part number to try and find a replacement engine harness. I bought a used harness at Scotty's in Fontana, after providing them with a description of the harness and the vehicle, but $250 non-refundable dollars later, they pulled out the wrong harness for me, and my dealer's mechanic wasted a few hours more on my work ticket. I'm already on the hook for 9.5 hours for the wiring replacement, and a few hours for the flexplate and starter. Can anyone give me a hand here in finding a replacement harness? I am looking for the harness that plugs in at the firewall behind the master cylinder, and runs along the firewall toward the passenger side, to the right wheel well where the fuse block mounts. The Jeep is equipped with a California 4.0L engine, automatic tranny, and does not have ABS. I don't need the other separate half of the electrical harness, that supplies the headlights, etc. Any help here is appreciated. My daily driver is now a paperweight, and it's taking up a bay at the dealer's shop.

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes Garden Grove, CA.

Reply to
gavilan1

You took a 93 YJ to the *dealer*? Wow!

Reply to
PeterD

Yeah, but I thought that I only burned out the cable to the starter motor when I had it towed in. Then I found out that the harness, starter, and flexplate were a'goners. Also, we haven't had a decent Jeep shop in Orange County, CA., or anywhere in the area since Harvey's Complete Jeep shut down its locations in Huntington Beach and Paramount (Bellflower?).

Reply to
gavilan1

How bad is this harness, and how many wires are in it? I am thinking you could just replace all the wires and whichever terminals are bad. Dropped the harness in 2002 from the parts system? My 1995 is living on borrowed time, isn't it?

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton