Sorento-Uhaul trailer wiring harness

Hello, just installed a towing hitch from Uhaul into my 2003 Sorento and also purchased their universal trailer wiring harness. Has anyone here ever installed such a wire harness into their Sorento? Is it difficult? And how can one find out the proper color code to splice into from vehicle to universal wire harness? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Reply to
Tony R

Greetings,

We installed a trailer harness on my wife's '03 Sorento, albeit not a Uhaul brand. We were able to tap into the existing connector under the right rear quarter panel (accessible from underneath) where the Kia brand harness plugs in. I just cut off the Kia harness plug and spliced the wires directly to the ends of the new harness. We also had to use a power module because the power from the existing harness wasn't enough for our trailer lights (per the book). It was no big deal and you can hear the module click when the turn signals flash even if we don't have a trailer attached.

I can't remember if we had a diagram of which wire controlled which light on the Sorento's harness or if I used a test light (it was over three years ago), but at least having the factory plug right there meant I didn't have to splice into each individual wire for each light. There's also a little hidden space where the power module can hide and not get dirty.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan