Jeep Evaporator Coil

My A/C quit putting out Cold Air in my 1997 GC. Seems to physically work, but just pumps out warm air rather then cold. My auto shop said it had a bad Evaporator coil. Because it would take 6 1/2 hours, it is going to end up costing me $800 ($455 in labor). I've read about an extenedend 70,000 mile warrenty, but I'm at 85,000 miles.

After talking with friends at work, they suggested at least having it "recharged" first. Might tell me if it is a leak, or completely broke. But, wouldn't a leak even cause me to replace it? Will this cost maybe $50-$70? Would this be a good thing to do first?

Also, can't do the $800 right now, and am going on vactation to Silver Lake Sand Dunes next week, so would REALLY like to have any bit of cold air I can get.

Reply to
hummels

If you can't do the $800, then prepare yourself for a warm trip, or go with a friend and use his car.

You can buy a can of R134 and a fitting to squirt it in for about $25 bucks. Follow the directions on the can. If the evaporator has a leak, you will know. If there is a leak anywhere, you will probably know. The R134 contains oil, so there should be an unexpected oil stain on a fitting somewhere.

If there is a leak, then the pressure in the system should drop to the point that the Low Pressure switch kicks in to stop the compressor from beating itself up. If you are getting warm ari out of the vents, then the compressor ought not be working. It may engage momentarily when the system is first turned on, but it should not cycle on and off on a regular basis. If it is cycling, then you do not have a leak because the Low Pressure switch is allowing the compressor to work.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I would put a vacuum on it for a couple of hours, or so, before putting any more freon into it. If it won't hold a vacuum - you have a leak.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

This is true but he wants it to work for a week while he is on vacation. A can or two of refrigerant might do that. Add in the "stop leak and detector" below and he might actually make it through the vacation!

(I have used this stuff with some success. I can't vouch for its effectiveness as a stop leak, but it found my leak. In appearance, it's just a red colored oil. If the leak is in the evaporator though, the detector will just leak out with the drain water and it might be hard to spot it.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Oh My God - All that freon into the open air - there will be a hole in the ozone layer & everyone in the whole world will fry to death................not

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

you need to carry out a pressure test with oxygen free nitrogen, at about

250 psi

Reply to
paul

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Calm down. It's R134a, which doesn't have chlorine in it and therefore is safe for the ozone. It is however, a global warming gas...

Earle

Carlo Jr. wrote:

Reply to
Earle Horton

I thought R-134 just wasn't as harmful - only better

well - talk about the ozone layer................................... all metered dose inhalers have to pass the "clean air act" by this year sometime. I think I saw that it is the end of this month somewhere. Serevent & Nasacort have been taken off of the market so far. As if asthmatics don't have enough to worry about - now they have to be concerned about blowing a hole in the ozone layer every time they take a puff or two (& then the stress precipitates another attack!)

Reply to
Carlo Jr.