A/C Evaporator replacement?

So the A/C in my 94 850 worked really great but then started losing gas. Had my mechanic recharge it and it lasted about 2 weeks. He put dye in and said that the only place they could find the dye this time was at the evaporator and they were pretty certain that the evaporator needs to be replaced. Said the system was totally discharged (which sounds right since the compressor didn't even kick in after this last failure). So I check with the dealer and they want $1450 to replace the evaporator. My mechanic says they can do it for $750 plus parts, because it is an 8 hour job to replace it since the entire dash from the steering wheel over has to come out and go back in. So here are my questions:

Does this sound right or reasonable?

Should I spring for new evaporator hoses while doing the work (adds about $225 in parts plus additional labor)?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Reply to
caaron

Sounds very reasonable.

These would be good to replace at the same time.

If your leak is small, then there is an alternative (somewhat controversial on this group). You can try sealing the leak. I've used this product on our 850 (Cryoseal with Drypak). I used it two years ago, and the seals appear to have held. But it only works on small leaks. It is much cheaper than replacing an evaporator. I recall spending about $100. There are many "sealers" on the market, but this was the only product that was recommended by Dr. George Goble.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

hi have my evap replaced in the uk, 500 pounds it cost, took 4.5 hours, as the guy was volvo trained, very good service, a/c workd a treat now, would not tackle it myself though!

col

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to have it done this week...

Chuck

Reply to
caaron

I wouldn,t put hoses on unless they are leaking or siezed. If you want to spend the extra money, then spring to have the heater core replaced. They shouldn't charge you more in labor since the box air box has to come out anyway. And yes the job does pay about 8 hours.

Reply to
volvoguy