O.T slightly. Vacuum leak on engine

I was just wondering if someone happens to what or how to go about finding a vacuum leak on an engine? I remember being told once that you spray something (not sure if it was quick start or something else) and when the rpm increases (or decrease depending on what's used) your at least in the correct area. anyone here ever heard or done something like this???

If it matters its on an '87 Olds 307.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Carb cleaner will slow the engine, starting spray (ether) will speed it up. It also is explosive..

Reply to
billy ray

Yeah I know ether will go boom, that's why I said its something that's sprayed. ...lol, isn't card cleaner explosive too??? or has it got a higher flash point?.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Kinda a tossup. one is fairly pure ether and the other is a mix of kerosene like stuff, Xylene, and Acetone.

The petroleum distillates probably make the carb cleaner safer as the like to smoke rather than flash.

Have you see the new label for STP Cleaners.

"Now with Jet Fuel"!

Why no just label it that they are selling 12 ounces of kerosene for $3.49

Reply to
billy ray

billy ray did pass the time by typing:

Don't forget, it does come with that spiffy red straw.

Reply to
DougW

well after spending the night at work google'n I found a couple choices on what to spray, it seems some people use carb cleaner, ether, propane and the least volatile one I saw WD-40. so looks like I'll try out the WD-40 and see what it does.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

"Snow" wrote in news:sDK1g.2208$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Almost anything will work as the engine will speed up or slow down when the spray hits the leak, in the shop we sprayed whatever was handy but one thing not mentioned that works very well and is perfectly safe is plain old water in a spray bottle.

Reply to
XS11E